Author Topic: when did you start your little ones and with what?  (Read 9626 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: when did you start your little ones and with what?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:40 am »
Dwardo, a 1 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick oak slat from the lumber yard or you can cut one from hickory or maple or whatever you want, 4' long 3" grip with 1 1/2" fades, cut straight taper to 1/2" tip's and sand, glue on tip overlays and shape the grip, cut the nock's and you have a bowthat he can shoot from 2-3 yrs old till 5-6, i backed the ones i made with cloth for a little saftey as young ones can be hard on thing's, fast and easy to make so if he brakes it you can have another ready the next day, Bub

Thanks Bubby, no such look for timber merchants in the uk and certainly none within 50 miles that have any decent lumber. I should be able to transfer those dimensions to a little ash or yew stave i have. Will start keeping alll of those staves that are too thin and short now i have a use :) Will get onto it!

Offline bubby

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »
Dwardo the real young ones can draw very little weight, can you get an oak board, any hardwood will work and just rip a 1/4" slat off of it, i think the draw on these little bows is 14# @ 22" and my grand kids drew them easilly, maybe there is a cabinit shop or maybe a school with a wood shop that you may be able to get some wood, or someone demoing an old house , i did post the spyderman bows if you need the dimension's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dwardo

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 08:26:34 pm »
Dwardo the real young ones can draw very little weight, can you get an oak board, any hardwood will work and just rip a 1/4" slat off of it, i think the draw on these little bows is 14# @ 22" and my grand kids drew them easilly, maybe there is a cabinit shop or maybe a school with a wood shop that you may be able to get some wood, or someone demoing an old house , i did post the spyderman bows if you need the dimension's, Bub

Sorry Bub missed this post.
I have called every decent timber merchant for atleast 50 miles and no one does anything nice at all, just orrible softwood.
I have never seen a bow worthy bit of wood that i have not had to cut and season my self. Almost seems nuts that a machine sawn bit of wood can follow the grain enough to make a self bow.
I will call it "luck" that i have ruined enough good staves to leave enough wood for some very low lb bows lol
Just got to be very gentle!
Thanks again.

Offline bubby

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:58 pm »
i wonder what shipping would be to you? bub

Offline coaster500

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:20 pm »
Looks about the right age to me  ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 12:50:44 am »
gun doc  that's my kid no tiller beginer bow, when they get a little older they get a bow with lot's of scraping in them like these, Bub

WOW I need to upload my picture now, bubby,I have a picture of me at that age pulling an arrow from a deer the same exact way, the only differences are that there is a ray of sunlight shining on the deer and the deer is facing the opposite direction

here is the other pic
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:34:04 pm by Youngboyer2 »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:14 am »
Deja vu all over again, eh young bowyer :laugh:, Bub

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 12:41:15 am »
this is a picture with a grainy phone of a old grainy pic, ill try to find it on the computer... the better one will probably look more like the other one
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »
I am going to be making  a bow for my girls (5 and 3) since they have been begging me.  ;D  For arrows... will simple dowels work for a lightweight kids bow.  I do not want to get fancy, expensive, or time consuming for kids arrows.

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline bubby

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 01:08:54 pm »
yeah they will work, just allways try to get good grain, Bub

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »
yeah they will work, just allways try to get good grain, Bub

Yup... sounds good.  The girls have been begging for a bow.  Heck... the 5 yo was begging for a flintlock 2 years ago so that she could go and shoot a bear too.  HA!!!  This year there biggest fun has been helping me set and check beaver traps.
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
Just wondering, can anyone see the old picture that I posted, if so than yes it is Deja-vu all over again bub,

Offline bubby

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
no pic here YB, Bub

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 08:35:17 pm »
Huh... Computers can't live with em CAN live without em
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:31:30 pm by Youngboyer2 »

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »
By the way bubby, how often do arrows sail over that fence behind the deer? ::)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:54:49 pm by Youngboyer2 »