Author Topic: First Osage Crush  (Read 4840 times)

Offline jtbluefeather

First Osage Crush
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:38 pm »
So, I'm a new bow maker. Done some red oak board bows, HBH, and tried a maple board bow before I knew there was a difference between hard and soft.  (turns out the soft really explodes well at low draw weights) I've read about yew and osage orange being great bow woods, but had never seen any Osage until today. A buddy of mine did his first bow ever from an Osage stave and brought it to show me.  Pretty rough around the edges, tiller was a bit wonky, but not bad for a first bow. But what surprised me the most was how the wood seemed to glow!   He didn't even sand or finish that well, but still that wood seemed iridescent. It was like seeing a really pretty girl for the first time and getting an instant crush. Now I understand the draw, besides the "good bow making wood" properties. Pictures don't show that.  Now... Where to get my hands on a stave???  Cause I just gotta have an Osage orange bow! :D

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: First Osage Crush
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:58:46 pm »
The grain along the edges of the bow really do that iridescent thingy.  It's much like tigerseye stone in that respect.  I've always wanted to try making an osage bow from a quartersawn plank to take advantage of that effect. 

I understand your crush, it's infectious stuff.  You might be able to get over it if you never look at it again and avoid any physical contact.  There is no help if you get a splinter in your skin....infection injection!  Hooked for life.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »
JW
Gary Davis made a bow last year from a stave that split a little strange ,he did it like quartered to the grain  and yes it is electrifying ! !!
I hope he has it this year when I see him ,it will be interesting to see how it looks as it darkens up
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:24 pm »
Osage is addictingv :)  Sounds like you have the gold fever.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Matt A

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:40:51 am »
how does that osage darkening work?  :o I am new to osage as well and my fencepost i split last spring is pretty much lighting up the garage also.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:08:35 am »
pretty sure it's just UV exposure that darkens the osage.

Offline Matt A

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:11:31 am »
does it happen even when you put something like spar varnish or polyurethane on?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:58 am »
I know they will darken when finished with tru-oil.  I have one that is 3 years old and it is really turning a beautiful burnt orange color.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 04:55:28 am »
Yes even the stuff with uv inhibitors will still darken in time.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:33:15 am »
Never seen the stuff in the flesh, one day.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:28 am »
  I'm lucky back when I started 21 years ago. I got into building bows in a big way. And cut tons of OSAGE with those and all I've cut through the years I have and have had 100's. Have sold ,traded, gave away made dozens of OSAGE BOWS. At one time I had 233 staves.
  Osage dose have oils and resins that has different affects on people. I found out long ago that when filing and sanding my my eyes puffy.
  I not sure why OSAGE gets darker with age. But I LOVE THAT BURNT ORANGE LOOK. Osage doesn't stain well unless you use leather dye (alcohol based). I only seal my bows with bee's wax and let nature take it's course. Through the years I used everything to finish osage bows. What ever you use on OSAGE still gets dark with age.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline coaster500

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:48 pm »
I just finished and mail off my trade bow to Robustus. It was my first shot at Osage and putting that little bow in the mail was the toughest thing I've ever done. I live in California so Osage is an exotic for me. It's got some quirks and there was a learning curve for me but I love the stuff and have two more stave's roughed out. I need to make one for me:)

It is really unique, beautiful stuff!!

I just traded for some billets (want to try a two piece) ...  find something to trade and post it here? I got some Yew that way also and used it for my TG trade bow.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline jtbluefeather

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »
Coaster, that's the trick! I just don't have much to trade, and not much. Moola to buy.    :'( someday though.  :laugh:

Dwardo-don't look directly at the wood! It's instantly addicting!

I do live in an area thick with hickory and hop hornbeam, so maybe I'll stockpile some staves and see if I can trade a few to somebody who is local to osage.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »
I do live in an area thick with hickory and hop hornbeam, so maybe I'll stockpile some staves and see if I can trade a few to somebody who is local to osage.

There ya go!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:00 am »
Cut yourself some hop hornbeam and I will for sure trade you a year old osage stave for a green HHB stave.  I've always wanted to try HHB.  And, I love to help people get after osage for the first time. :)

George
St Paul, TX