Author Topic: New Osage candidate for my new Bowfishing Rig...  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: New Osage candidate for my new Bowfishing Rig...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:20 pm »
OK folks, need a little input with the layout on this bugger.  Based on length this is pretty much here the handle and fades have to lay but based on the knot I am trying to decided on the length of the fades.  I've never made my fades longer than 2" but have drawn on 3" fades as I "think" I need to protect as much of the integrity around the knot as I possible can...or I am way off base in this thinking?  Many Thanks!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

TurtleCreek

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »
Not an expert on working knots yet, but that would look pretty sweet in the fade

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »
I thought that was to mount your bowfishing reel?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 09:26:14 pm »
Hmm, I suppose if I have to dig that branch stub out I could mount a reel down there but I think a shoot through spool mounted off my handle area is what I am likely going to do.

On a progress note:

I lay'd out the rest of the bow...fades, limb tapers, etc and ran her through the bandsaw.  Took my Shinto to the profile lines and got her cleaned up good and figured I'd start to "quickly" chase a ring or at least determine my back ring.  OH LAWRDY, do I have my work cut out for me!!!  This is probably the most uneven, non-crowned back on an Osage I've ever even considered messing with.  This one is lining up to be the biggest challange in a stave I've ever tried, gulp.   :o

Wish me luck!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Qwill

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »
I don't know. It looks like you've got plenty of wood around that not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. In the fade or just outside, I doubt it's likely to move too much to give you trouble either way.