Author Topic: Doomsday Preppers  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Jimbob

Doomsday Preppers
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:36 am »
Has anyone else been watching this show on National Geographic?  Do any of yall consider yourselves a "doomsday prepper", or would you say that by practicing the primitive arts that we are all to some degree doomsday preppers?  Some of these guys really get into it, one of them has his goats trained to all run into a stock trailer when he opens the door to it.  Im not knocking it, just wondering everyone elses thoughts on the subject. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: Doomsday Preppers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:36:17 am »
I was raised a "prepper" if you want to call it that,,My parents and grandparents lived through the depression,and knew the value of storing and conserving food/supplies. The show on Nat geo,is not bad in my opinion,but some of the people go a little to far with some of it,,,like 75-100 guns? I like guns to,but in a bad situation you risk getting them taken from you by the thugs.The biggest fault I see with most of them is not enough water.If you can drill a well,thats the ticket! Those old hand pitcher pumps still work. I do think its good for everyone to have a cache put away.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:14:14 am »
read my signature, no need to go nut's but dosn't hurt to be prepaired, 75-100 guns, seems to me if ya just had 3-4 guns per person you could spend all that money you saved and buy a lot more ammo, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:42:57 am »
read my signature, no need to go nut's but dosn't hurt to be prepaired, 75-100 guns, seems to me if ya just had 3-4 guns per person you could spend all that money you saved and buy a lot more ammo, Bub
;)   I agree!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:35:06 am »
Don't think about it much ,but do have several guns and lots of ammo,wife keeps lot of food stored and have several nice spring and lot of natural resources on my place,the guns are to keep other folks from taking it all over in case of bad times.
My wife told the ladies at the church when they ask why she didn't seem worried about 401ks and such a few years back when that part of the economy went south and she told them that Her husband knew how to make things and kill stuff
and that is really all you need.  I liked that alot. ;) :) :)I do practice some skills with some of that in the back of my mind but don't worry to much about it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:59 am »
Heard some talk on a radio station from Chicago that a guy in the suburbs was storing jet fuel in 55 gallon drums!! :o ::)

Don't plan on doing that anytime soon!! :laugh:
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:05 pm »
I'm ready but not ridiculous.  Key medical and survival skills have served me well for years, and though I hope never need to 'bug-out', ...I and mine certainly won't be the first or easiest victims.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:48 pm »
I think the show is just that, a bunch of actors.  I'm not saying anything bad about the preppers, but if I was setting on that much food and ammo, I wouldn't tell anybody, much less be on TV.  Now, like a lot of you, I grew up growing gardens and doing lots of canning.  Raising and butchering farm animals.  Some call it prepping, but around here its just a way of life.  My parents always believed in storing as much as they could.  You never know when you are going to fall on hard times.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:26:15 am »
I think the show is just that, a bunch of actors.  I'm not saying anything bad about the preppers, but if I was setting on that much food and ammo, I wouldn't tell anybody, much less be on TV.  Now, like a lot of you, I grew up growing gardens and doing lots of canning.  Raising and butchering farm animals.  Some call it prepping, but around here its just a way of life.  My parents always believed in storing as much as they could.  You never know when you are going to fall on hard times.

I agree 100%!!  Its just not a good idea to go on national television and advertise how many guns you have, thats just asking for a home invasion disaster or no disaster.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:42:51 pm »
I've been at it a while.  I've tried to learn a lot of different skill set's along the way.  I like the idea of being better safe then sorry.

The show made me cringe watching it.  No one with an ounce of sense will let other folks know what they might have stored up and put aside for bad times. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »
  No one with an ounce of sense will let other folks know what they might have stored up and put aside for bad times.

;) thumbs up on that Jon.  I had a brother-in-law/ best buddy once who I told where my guns were and the key and @ a family member's... just in case.  We were family you know?  Pslam B.H. ended up leavin my sister.  Now!   ::) dpgratz

We haven't had a TV station in 11 years, so I don't know the show.  Seems to me if it all goes down the wild game will be hunted out just like in the 30's around here.  If you want meat, traps for small game and birds will be the belly filler. IMO, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »
Watched it last night.  What I think is so interesting is that each person has something specific that they're prepping for and the type of prep follows a strategy for that.  It's entertaining.

Most situations I'd look to survive, but if it were global thermonuclear war, I'd just as soon want to be standing just below a warhead going off.  I wouldn't want to be around to watch photosynthesis stop for a couple decades.  Ever read/see The Road - Cormac McCarthy?
I've got no issue with mother nature coming up with a superflu, switching the poles, or even oil catastrophy etc.  But one thing that just makes me sick is the thought that we've created something that would destroy everything but the damn cochroaches.  I don't get it and don't see how any sane person would.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »
Watched it last night.  What I think is so interesting is that each person has something specific that they're prepping for and the type of prep follows a strategy for that.  It's entertaining.

Most situations I'd look to survive, but if it were global thermonuclear war, I'd just as soon want to be standing just below a warhead going off.  I wouldn't want to be around to watch photosynthesis stop for a couple decades.  Ever read/see The Road - Cormac McCarthy?
I've got no issue with mother nature coming up with a superflu, switching the poles, or even oil catastrophy etc.  But one thing that just makes me sick is the thought that we've created something that would destroy everything but the damn cochroaches.  I don't get it and don't see how any sane person would.

I grew up in North Dakota and at the very center of the nuclear stockpile.  We had Minot Air Force Base just 50 miles away with B-52's ready for their one way trip to Moscow as well as the hundreds of missile silos across the prairie.  There were 4 missile silos just within sight of my little town.  I don't remember any "duck and cover" drills at my school.  Too pointless. 

I used to lay awake at nite wondering if IT was going to happen tonite.  It wasn't a question in my mind of "if", but a matter of "when". 

I do not particularly care which side of the aisle they come from, but nobody in Washington DC has the horse sense necessary to command that kind of power.   I'd rather have the foreign powers sit down with us and make bows together, knap some rocks, have some venison off the grill....and if they wanna have it out in the morning they can use the bows and sharp rocks they made the nite before. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:01 pm »
I love Doomsday Peppers...

The Hotter The Better!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:51:04 pm »
I have never seen the show.

My question is:   Can chainsaw fuel be made from corn squeezings?

I own a 8' crosscut saw....  But hope I never have to learn how to use it.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama