Author Topic: Bow 3 Pics, Sooo Close to Target Draw Weight…  (Read 3062 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Bow 3 Pics, Sooo Close to Target Draw Weight…
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »
The Stats
•   Bow Name: Bob
•   Weight: 49# @ 28 inch
•   Nock to Nock: 68’’
•   Max Width: 1.5’’
•   Wood: Red Oak Board
•   Handle: none
•   Backing: Linen and TB III - decorated with sharpies
•   Finish: water based ploy

The Story
This is another filler bow in-between my great Elm (which is looking awesome IMO) and Osage projects.  I wanted to practice my recent tillering lessons.  This bow only took about 10 hours to build.  Still hard to believe!  It was drawing 53# when finished and then overnight went down to 49.  That puts me 1# under my target but, of course, I could care less.  It’s a shooter! 

My next project is a tiller tree.  I didn’t have one for this bow but really could have used it.  The art work is inspired from primitive cave drawings I found online.  I enjoyed doing these and will probably try to replicate more cave art in the future. 

Thanks for looking!!
Rob
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Weylin

Re: Bow 3 Pics, Sooo Close to Target Draw Weight…
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:33:03 pm »
Awesome! tiller looks good from here. 1# under weight is not even worth mentioning as a flaw, most people come in drastically under weight for their first few bows. I really think that cranking out some board bows while you are waiting on nicer staves when you're a beginner is a great idea. I have a couple friends that want to start making bows and this is exactly what I'm going to have them do.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
Hmm I finished this bow at 5 AM this morning so I couldn't get my wife to take some full draw pics at that time (and stay married).  :-)  it would have helped as some of the tillering flaws are much more apparent in these pics.  My primary goals with this bow was to acheive a higher draw weight and have a better finish (no tool marks etc).  At 68'' I suspect/hope the tiller will be good enough.  Can't wait to shoot it! 

That's my daughter Ava in the pic BTW.  She said she likes the bow and then promptly asked, "where is mine Daddy?".  haha  That's my girl!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »
cute kid.  :) I have a 2 1/2 year old boy who loves to help me work on my bows. I'll hand him a file and he'll go to town on the other end of the bow when I'm working. He also loves to 'floor tiller' my bows. he'll stand it up and start pushing on it, grunting and groaning and then say something like, "it's bending a little bit!" or "the tiller looks good, Papa." I'm hoping to make him a little bow for his 3rd birthday but I still haven't figured out what I want to make it out of.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:50:27 pm »
 :)  :)  ;D   its fun watching you grow. your making huge steps. i guess a 7 hour learning session at my house fri eve wasnt enough for you this weekend. :laugh:  yup..your catching the bug buddy ;) your tiller is even better again....but still can be nitpicked. you need just a wee hair more bend in the upper mid limb(towards tips) in the upper limb. but overall its fine and will shoot for a long time,and more importantly itll killa deer. i like your cave art.if you keep at this your gonna be making some beautiful bows my friend

your lil girls cute..im sure she wood love to hang out with my rugrats sometime...bring the wife n lil girl sometime.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »
Thanks Weylin!  And that's awesome about you kid.  I'm fixin to do the same for Ava.  I will probably make a red oak board for her.  I saw some princess cloth I'm considering putting over the linen on hers.  I think 3 is probably a good target age; that way they should be hunting with us by 6.  ;-) 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »
@blackhaws: thanks much man!  Ya the board was taunting me.  It's safe to say any good points are a result of your teachings and flaws are a result of my forgetting/inpaitence.  ;)  Ava would have a blast with your kids.  I'll definitely bring her by sometime.  It was a pleasure meeting your family.  You have a great place and family; you're a very lucky guy.  Hope Damien is enjoying the jerky!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:55 am »
Rob your starting to make us experienced bowyers look baad..LOl  Nice looking bow...Next time you get an itch for a board bow try hard maple with a linen back..Much better than RO ,..You'll like it.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 01:26:30 am »
haha thanks Bill, I appreciate it!  Will do but how do I tell what is hard maple at HD?  Is there a soft?  The maple I see looks very light almost white.  Anxious for spring to come and to cut down some trees instead of doing it the easy way.  ;)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:20:44 am »
Nice tiller :)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:25 am »
Nice looking bow and sweet little girl.Nice work. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »
@dwardo, Pappy: thanks guys, it means a lot!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18:45 pm »
Great tiller and art work on that one. What weight linen did you use?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:24:15 pm »
Very nice bow. tiller can be nitpicked as Blackhawk said but it is bending nice and you didnt make a kids bow by mistake. impressive to make target weight.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30:17 pm »
@lesken: Thanks Kenny!  With the art work I try to be more concerned about what I think is cool or interesting to me and not what will "look prettiest".   :)  Of the available linen weights, I used a midium one I would say.  Hope that answers your question.
@ErictheViking: Thanks!  I was trying to balance not leaving it braced above 18'' to minimize set with getting an even tiller.  A little more paitence, a little less rum, and or a tiller tree would have helped.   ;D  I actually sanded it a bit more to even out the tiller a little.  Only lost .5 # in the process. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA