Author Topic: more fun thinning  (Read 1710 times)

Offline iowabow

more fun thinning
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »
I started on another biface and wanted to share some pictures.  I have just started doing this with a predictable out come and it is the second one I have worked.  I hope it helps other understand what I have learned.  I was real happy with this two flakes.  I think this shows what I mean by flat flaking.  What really is is like will said in an earlier post just good platform work and. A change in how I hit the platform. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: more fun thinning
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:49:32 pm »
Those are definatley  thinning flakes! Good job! The thing Ive realized is that convexity is king on all stages of reduction. But once you start to get real thin on those bigger bifaces isolating those platforms really makes all difference, and proper support as well. The edge opposite from where you hit takes the brunt of the shock and needs the most support.  ;) 
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »
Ok that's cool any other tips or tricks Will? I kinda don't know what to do when the edge gets real thin. There is not much space to grab the lower side of the platform.  I was thinking I needed to have an bopper that is not so beat up but have not tried that yet.  I am going to go back at it after supper and will post more pictures then.  Oh man I shot one all the way across and right into my hand but it did not have the energy to cut deep.   I really like thinning  with the bopper better than with the pressure flaker. 

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »
Yeah I love percussion work, its the fun stuff for sure. I usually do a set of thinning flakes as you have in the pic then take out my deltas with lighter hits to keep the covexity good then decide which face I need to work next and set up a platform because my edge is usually to thin at that point to get a good thinning flake. At this stage you can set up platforms quick by holding your bopper straight up and down more like a hammerstone and doing short strokes straight down much like you would with a pressure flaker. Like I said before when you start to get real thin and want to take it a little farther Isolate your platforms by taking a few pressure flakes on either side of your platform. Preferebly your plat forms should be set up to take out a ridge and spaced out a half inch or more. Support is everything  ;)  Convexity is KING! Remember to grind your platforms well and keep that dust on there for bite. And dont be afraid to take your pressure flaker out to cleen up your biface to keep good convexity. Basically the same thing Shannon showed you just on a bigger scale. This is where the flexible Ishi really comes in handy. Remember 2 that most artifacts arent 10:1 ratio, thats good to shoot for especially if your making an andice or turkeytail or big Hopewell blade but a good 5:1 or 6:1 is perfect for most Dovetails or lost lakes or anything else you wanna make. Just get the shape then notch it. You DO however want to make sure and thin your base early. OH!! I almost forgot! The best tip Ive been given so far is to ping pong your hits! What I mean is take a flake from the right then the left then the right then the left as you work toward the center. Make your last flake in a series in the middle of the piece and you will snap WAY fewer preforms :)  I realize this is getting a little long winded so thats all for now.  :-X
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:33 pm »
Yea, I think this was just what I was looking for today.  Thanks for bringing it back to the top.

8)dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38:52 pm »
This is the holding position I use for setting up platforms when you edge starts to get to thin for a good flake. It seemen insunificant the first time I saw Jesse do this but it make a real difference. Its something about they way the side of the bopper comes in contact with the edge and sort of shears the flakes off. Makes a great platform with fewer steps than when you use the normal holding position.
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »
I see charcoal fluid and a bottle, must be a good weekend.  :o so..you hold the rock on your knee and hold the bopper like...that, and come straight down?  This is to set up a plateform to take a flake off the other side, top side in this picture?

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
No NO!  ;D  I just put the rock on my knee to take the picture.  ;)  And yes the rest of what you said is correct. And the rock in the pic is just a random piece I picked up out of my bucket. I was only trying to show the holding position in relation to the "preform"  ;) ;)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:31 pm »
lol... ;D...ok.  ;D dpg

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:18 pm »
Good to hear all this stuff.  If any others have input jump in.  Dinner is almost done then I am going to start hitting the stone.  Thanks Will soon we will be breaking rock together again. 

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »
No problem John! You coming to the Classic!? I cant wait for it! Its gonna be a little weird to be working my first classic but AWESOME jsut the same  ;)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:15 pm »
Heck ya I am coming down! I am flying my son in from NM and picking him up on the way down.  I built him a bow this winter and he is kinda hooked.  Hey Will I have a pile of antlers do you think people would want to buy them at the classic? I would not even know what to charge.

Offline Will H

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:48:51 pm »
Thats great your gonna be there! Im not sure about the antlers. Probably better to trade  ;)  I think your supposed to be a vendor to sell  ::) 
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:08 am »
Ok did not know that.  Well I did better than the last time. I made it to 8.6:1 tough break on the flake to the right.  I was sure it was going to release but it I hit it with the practice swing and did not have full power.  I am going to try and drive it off and keep going.   Paleomanjim said in a video that it starts getting iffy around this point.