Author Topic: Maple Syrup  (Read 2954 times)

Offline chigger

Maple Syrup
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:34:51 am »

IT'S that time again,Me and a friend boiled of a few gallons of  sap the last two days ..hers a pic of my half..yum yum...It take ten gal of sap to make one of them quarts...That a hundred gal of sap setting there,,,

Offline Lone500

Re: Maple Syrup
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:12:21 am »
wow when and how did you collect all that sap?
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline drwilson

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:28:20 am »
My nephew cooked some off today. The weather was real nice here today, 60* with a
nice breeze from the south.  I live in southern Indiana.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:11 am »
Dang, I bet you could do pretty good with some of that in the trading post!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:57 am »
I really miss doing maple syrup, well everything but carrying the sap from the trees to the truck.  Nothing is better on waffles.    George
St Paul, TX

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:30:13 am »
Wow,  That represents a lot of work.  Bet that makes taste just a little better!    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:53 am »
Niced haul! We get syrup galore up here. Not for another good month or so. Its still mid-winter in the great nord. Ron there is NO comparison to the corn syrup crap we have to buy at stores. The real deal is special and tastes as such. Get yourself a jug and try it on ice cream, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, you name it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:10:22 pm »
   Nice!!!!!   DON'T You Worry  George!!!!!  JeffW

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »
wha cha want to trade for some?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:58:37 pm »
How much sap do you get from a big maple in a season ? Mine are 5 to 6 feet in diameter .  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 06:06:54 pm »
Being a 'flatlander' I do have to say that sorghum molasses is pretty darn good. ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 06:47:07 pm »
Looks good.  Wood fired?  I like mine done outside on a fire, gives it a little different taste.  We made some a few years ago, anything to get outside in February.  Thought I was gonna do it this year, but didn't, now it's dang near too late.  Sparrow, I've gotten up to two gallons of sap a day from a good tree.  Three taps is the most you are supposed to use on any one tree, 10" tree minimun for one tap, I think 17" for two and 24" for 3 taps.  It sells for about $40 a half gallon around here, Bloomington, Indiana.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lowell

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:16 pm »
Neighbor just hung his cans yesterday and I can see them down the road.  He does his over a wood fire outside. 

Time to go get friendly with the neighbor!!  >:D O:)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline chigger

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »
The ? was asked how much sap does a tree produce? Every tree is different, some a little some a lot...I tapped this one big maple a couple of years ago and put two taps and two five gal buckets( what I use, a lady at a school supplies them) And the tree ran both buckets over two days running ,but that's not happened again.The most I have collected in a day this year has been about two gal some as little as a pint , and the little trees are running better than the big one. I cook mine out side on a fire in stoves I've made ,I have three stainless steel pans ,12 gal,24gal and a 60 gal,crude but they work.I'ts hard for me to imagine how the Indians could ever produce syrup... I have a neighbor that moved next door to me that has ten kids and I've got them interested ,I supply the trees and all supplies and they supply the labor ,a good deal for both I guess, We cooked off eighteen quarts Thur. and Fri. Had  a big mess of waffles and syrup this morning.