Author Topic: Need expert opinions - new photos added  (Read 5205 times)

Offline DQ

Need expert opinions - new photos added
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:39:58 pm »
After shooting this bow over 1000 times, I decided to "improve" it by flipping the tips farther.  Oops!  I cracked both bends.  I have filled the cracks with super glue and sanded down to bare wood.  I planned on doing a sinew wrap on the cracks, but now I'm wondering about glueing a thin Osage overlay on the belly side of both bends and making a "sort of" static recurve.  I would welcome your opinions on what is the best way to save this bow.  It is (was) 64" long, about 60# @ 28 inches.  Thanks, in advance, for your advice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:35:36 pm by DQ »

Offline DQ

Re: Need expert opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »
One more photo

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:21:11 pm »
Take a thin veneer of wood and do an underlay.  I'd try to do a contrasting colored wood if it were me.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »
Id add an underlay of a wood with a similar density...IPE.....  I see why it cracked too sharp of a bend IMO
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:48 pm »
Sinew probably wouldnt help much. An underlay would be best.  That crack was formed from excess tension. That part of the limb works in compression. In other words its not really that bad if the glue flowed well. You can leave it as is. I have before more than once. Once the osage darkens some you wont notice it. Thats my opinion.....Im NO expert however!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:20:34 am »
Are you good with splices??? If you are, you could v splice in another piece of wood on both ends ( with recurved)it would be my choice...If you are creative with thin lams in the splices for color contrast.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DQ

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:14 am »
Thanks for your replies everyone.  I'm leaning toward doing a thin underlay.  Should it be plain, rift or quarter sawn?  Urac 185 glue?  Should I steam the underlay to make the bend?  I don't have any IPE.  Would walnut, cherry, Osage, or white ash work?  How thick should the underlay be?  Or, should I go real thin and double it?

As you can see, I've never attempted this, so any help would be appreciated.  I think I can do the work.  I just need the voice of experience to guide me.  (He grins, while holding a big rasp in his hand.)  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:43:17 am »
I would go with osage and use whatever wood glue you have handy, or URAC. Start at about 1/16" thick and feather the ends out after it dries. You wont loose any of the bend you put in it. Bring it over here and we can do it up!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:21 am »
Here are a few pics of a BBI I built last summer. I wanted to bump the weight up to 60# so I added the osage lams. It worked perfectly. Your underlays would be much the same. Also, thats my tip flipping rig. It makes a n ice round'ish arc. Its a 1 x 6 with a 5 gallon bucket traced on it.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:13:21 am »
I'd rasp away the tip to the depth of the crack, fading it out and then glue over a sliver of wood all clamped up as a static recurve like you suggested.
I think it's better than filling crack as it takes aout the fault and allows the overlay to be a bit thicker and thus easire to make and handle.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DQ

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:56:54 am »
Pearl - Good looking tip flipping jig.  I'm going to make one like it.  Thanks.  And, thanks for the invite.  I just might take you up on that.

Would it be possible to dry heat the bend and straighten it out a little on a jig like yours?  Then I could add the underlay for strength.  That way my string nocks would be at the correct angle.  For a static tip bow my nocks are cut wrong.  I feel like I'm getting in deeper and deeper.  Yikes!

Darryl

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »
I would not mess with the bend any more.  In Pearlie's picture you can see how thick his tip is.  Most of us leave the limbs thick so if there's some cracking like that we can sand it out without affecting the bow.  There's a decent chance you'll crack it again.  I would heat bend your underlay to approximately the same bend you now have, then clamp and glue it.  You may have to sand the limb flat to get more glue surface.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:58:25 pm »
You could move those tips to a more round profile. If they decide to stretch out again you can go down farther as Del suggested and then just add a thicker underlay to compensate. Keep those wheels turnin' Darryl! Your more than welcome to bring her over here for a facelift.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »
Georgey I wasnt "correcting" you, we just hit "post" at the same time, sorry pal. You are right, it will probably stretch more and it should be thicker when the initial bend is made. But he can still get a rounder flip with some tasteful heating and bending.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »
That's a pretty big crack, DQ. Even if I fixed it I wouldn't take it hunting or to a shoot. Actually, I wouldn't even shoot it. I'm pretty picky about the bows I shoot. If I even hear a tell tale tick that bow is a tomato stake.  I got some sense knocked into me when I had a couple go at full draw. One of the reasons I took up gardening. Gardening and selfbows go hand in hand...at least for me. Good luck with that.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!