Author Topic: best time of year  (Read 2779 times)

Offline GaryR

best time of year
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:33:09 pm »
I'm going to the woods with the kids and Mom tonight for the weekend. I want to cut an Elm and a Hickory, but is it too early. I read in another post a week or two ago that it's best to wait til the leaves just begin to bud, but aren't we close enough down here in Texas? I could wait a couple months if it's better. Your wisdom is greatly appriceiated.
Gary

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: best time of year
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:34:34 pm »
Wait until the leaves are full bloom, at least another few weeks down there. The more bloomed the leaves the more sap is up and the more sap is up the easier the bark and cambium come off. Plus you give the newest growth ring some time to toughen up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:53:15 pm »
Thanx Pearl Drums. I'll wait for the growth ring to toughen up. As far as the debarking, last Hickory I cut, I left the bark on to dry 8-10 months. When I went to work it the bark fell right off.

Is Elm going to be like Hickory, in that the back is under the bark, or is it like Bodark and I'll be removing the sap wood?
Gary

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:11 pm »
The back is under the bark AND cambium. If your hickory bark fell off it may have left the cambium behind. Thats the cool part about cuttin gin later in the spring. The bark and cambium usually comes off together in one easy piece to expose a perfect back.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
Rightio, I'll wait a couple months then thanx.
Gary

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:18:28 pm »
It will be worth it Gary. If you rough a bow out right away and stash it under your bed you could build a bow in 4-6 weeks with it.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:51 pm »
Are you telling me I can rough it out green the 2 months later finish it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »
10-4 big buddy. Whitewood's only. 

Offline GaryR

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:25:00 pm »
What a help you are. Hickory I know is a whitewood. What's Elm?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:48:00 pm »
Its all whitewood if its not mulberry, osage or locust...........for the most part. Hickory needs to be a touch drier. Leave that roughed down for 8 weeks rather.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
Thanx man, you've taught me more than you realize.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »
Paul Comstocks "Bent Stick" is a fabulous white wood read. Its $14 and worth it for a beginner.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 04:28:34 pm »
Paul Comstocks "Bent Stick" is a fabulous white wood read. Its $14 and worth it for a beginner.

I feel this should be in every body's library.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »
Gary, cut a small tree and see if the bark will slip. If it does the bigger trees might also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GaryR

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 06:17:28 pm »
Pat, that's a great idea. Would the maturity of the bark make a difference and possibly give me a false reading though?