Author Topic: Ash bow build ( an experiment in wood torture ) finished tiller  (Read 20308 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Ash bow build
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 04:55:43 am »
Thank you ryoon, I will be making the adjustments and repost. I know this will drop the draw weight, but a good limb toasting should bring some back. If I have to, Pike it 2 inche.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

blackhawk

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:10 am »
Thanks for the info...I also think your a tad narrow for ash...good thing its light weight,otherwise it would've taken more set.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:49 pm »
Ash can be narrow as long as it's dry and well seasoned and the back is well rounded, in my experience.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:56 pm »
Maybe Pearl will volunteer some info here as he already has a few times. Assuming my hardheadedness has not irritated him enough already ;)

Who says you cant figure out somebodys personality without ever meeting them! :) I dont get irritated sleek, I just quit typing buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 03:50:32 pm »
Looken good get it hot and see what ya have then !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline sleek

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 04:27:33 pm »
HaHa, pearl, I like that quote and may use it sometimes.

Tonight when I get home I will probably put the bow on a form, wrap in a wet rag with some foil and steam it into a reflex inner and mid limb. After that has been done, let it dry for a day and then go back on the same form and toast it till it turns a light brown to help lock the weakened fibres in place. I dont expect it to hold the reflex, I am only putting it in in hopes of it making the bow come out straight to get the set it has out as the stave was straight to begine with. We will see what happens.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »
I have a bad feeling about toasting it.  I hope it doesnt split all to heck on you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »
Definitely report back on what happens with your heat-treating experience. I'm sure we'll all learn a little something from it...

Offline sleek

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »
I hope it comes out ok, but if it splits, or breaks, or does the macarena ( I want bow of the month if that happens ) it will be ok. I know I have done allot of things with this bow I shouldnt have, impatience and curriosity being the two biggest driving factors here, but I have decided that this bow is either going to put up with what I do to it, or break. Either way, something is going to happen and it may be interesting :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:36 pm »
The best part is you recognize it sleek. At least you know what you did wrong and can make it right next time. That in itself is invaluable. We can all bark what we want, but what you actually do and see on your own will hold more weight than any of our mumblings.

Offline sleek

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »
Please Pearl, dont take what I do as me asking for advice and then ignoring yall. Often times I ask questions about something I am going to do to see what to expect, plan for it, and try to avoid negative outcome. This bow build for example.

To be honest, I thought the wood was dry enough to start making a bow from to begine with. However when you guys told me it was to wet, I wanted to see if and how to make a bow from one that is to wet by trying force drying ideas. I got the bow to stop dropping weight with all the force drying.

Then I started asking questions to find what to expect on the steaming of the wood and heat treat to remove set. I am doing it, but wanted to know what you guys had seen go wrong so I can try to prevent that from happening to me. Not by just not heat treating it to avooid it, but do it in a different manner to prevent the negative outcome experienced in the past.

Often time I ask a question, get the answer, then ask why that answer is true. I dont want to know just what to do and not to do, but also understand why. I feel if you can understand the entire process rather than just knowing it, you can work around obsticals better and force the outcome you want from a situation more accurately. Doing things folks dont recomend is how I like to do it. Its like a challenge. everybody knows a dry piece of wood makes a better bow than a wet one. So I want to figure out the fastest and best method to go from wet to dry bow, and cancell out all the negative effect of doing so.

Sorry for my hardheadedness, but for me, this is fun :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:32 am »
I steamed in 2 inches of reflex and it held when I took it off the form. I braced it at 7 inches ( kinda high I know, I need to adjust the string a touch ) and pulled it back about 12 inches a few times. It seems to be willing to hold the reflex so far, but of course, 12 inches is no where close to 30 lbs. I am now toasting the belly to lock those fibers in. Afterwards, retiller and shoot it in... The bow may survive yet. It has taken allot of early draw weight too by the way...

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 09:07:29 am »
Steaming dries out the wood. It will make it (temporarily) very weak and brittle. You really mustn't draw the bow until the wood has re-hydrated for at least three/four days (preferably a week).
You are doing very good in trying to break the bow :) I know you can do it; just pull it to 28" and watch the splinters fly!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline sleek

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:21 am »
LOL, Not really trying to break it, just trying to see where the line is. I ask questions to figure out what yall think about what I am/will be doing, then try to do it with your guys ideas in mind to avoid the nagative ( breaking the bow ). I'm just walking the line as fine as I can get.   

Darksoul, I was banking on the woods moisture contnet being so high to begine with to keep it from drying out too much. I figured since the stave was so wet to begine with I would be safe with messing with some heat. As of right now the bow weighs 15.8 ounces. I have taken allot of the tips in width, actually I reduced them by about half since I last weighed them. I will let it sit one day in my garage to see if it gains or looses weight.  Then go from there. If it gains weight, then I assume I over ryed it and it needs to stabalize. If it looses weight then I assume it isnt all the way dry yet. If nothing happens, the I will give it one more day then make a decision.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:56:17 am by sleek »

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Ash bow build ( an experiment in wood torture )
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »
All most there !!
Do you use oil when you heat treat ?
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !