Author Topic: New to the adiction but dont know where to start.  (Read 3057 times)

Offline hayawatha

New to the adiction but dont know where to start.
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »
I am completely new and want the bare basics and should i make a board bow or one from a tree.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: New to the adiction but dont know where to start.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:26 pm »
If you happen to be an impatient kid( cough cough) than start with a straight grained board so you don't need to dry the wood. A very useful source ( no offense PA'ers) is poor folks bows and his hickory board bow buildalong.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »
Check out Georges website....  great place to start,,,Good luck :)

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:07:26 pm »
I would definately start with a boad bow.  Thats what I did, I'm still relatively new at this also.  I am working on bow #5 for me.  My first one was from a hickory plank I bought from a cabinet shop.  I learned alot from that first bow, mostly about laying out the bow and tillering it to draw correctly.  All of my others have been from Osage, and it is much more challenging.  Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:03 pm »
board bow plain and simple.... I am also a novice.... Maybe about a 12-18 bows or so, but for me I still havn't found anything that beats a good old board bow when it comes to the fun of constructing it.... Also check out the TBB vol 1-4 they are an invaluable resource as is this site.. I notice from your other post that you are fairly young... I am too... Turning 16 tomorrow! And I like to think I've turned out some pretty nice bows.... Good luck on your first!

Jon

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:17:45 pm »
I would add Paul Comstock's book "The Bent Stick" as a good item to read when you first start. Lots of good info in there.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:17:56 am »
Lot of suggestions for board bows, and there are lots of reasons why, such as time, cost, etc.  BUT...if you try a couple boards and can't get it to work like some guy I know from the mirror every morning, there are lots of ways to get good, functional bows with very little time or expense using small trees or saplings.  I find that, for me, working with a real no-kidding tree is much easier than figuring out what someone else has done to the board.  Either way is fine and has advantages though.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:47:38 am »
keep it simple and rewarding...make a board bow!! Gl,Ron

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:12:36 am »
Go cut a couple small saplings n reduce them down to near bow dimensions and seal the back. Meanwhile while those are drying for the next month go learn and how to choose a couple boards and learn on them how to bend wood correctly. Grain grain grain, its all about straight grain in a board...did I mention straight grain ;) then after you play with the boards make a real bow with those saplings.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:18 am »
I would spend 15 minutes a day reading this forum. Then consider what type of bow you want to build after you see what is involved with each. I would be willing to bet EVERY question you have is asked or answered daily on this forum. Sit back, relax and absorb for a few weeks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:30:04 am »
Start with a board ASAP!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 10:45:49 am »
Thanks, coaster. hayawatha, take time to find the right board...straight grained...no knots. I like red oak. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 11:02:36 am »
I think everyone's given you the ticket.  Heed George's advice!
Also, as you will no doubt become hopelessly addicted to this pursuit, don't put off considering tryin to harvest viable bow staves now so they begin to season over the next year of your learning.  My 2 cents.

My biggest mistake was that I rushed my first bows. 
1’—>1’

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 11:09:31 am »
Start with anything you can lay your hands on... the important this is to start!
Del
(Google delsbows or bowyers diary to see my stuff)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 05:32:51 pm »
I would spend 15 minutes a day reading this forum...

What!!  That's like telling him to eat 1 potato chip...it can't be done. :o

You might want to give the general area you live in.  If there are bowyers on here in driving distance from you, try to find a time you can visit them and watch them work.  You'll learn 10 times as fast with an instructor.  If you're driving distance from Dallas, come visit me and I'll give you your first stave.

George
St Paul, TX