Author Topic: HEED MY WARNING!!!  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
HEED MY WARNING!!!
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
NEVER LET ANYONE ELSE DRAW YOUR SELFBOw THE RESULTS CAN BE DISASTEROUS... MARK MY WORDS
this was a while ago but i keep the remains around as a warning
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: HEED MY WARNING!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:28:37 pm »
Tie a string from the fade to the bowstring that is the length of YOUR draw.  If someone else draws your bow back, they can't overdraw it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:04 am »
Outlaw:  That's a great idea!  I will definately do that on the bows I display at the shoots.  You never know when you're not paying attention and someone pulls it behind his ear.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:54:20 am »
string.. good idea i don't know how many times i showed a bow to someone only to cringe as they pull it back hoping they won't overdraw it , trying to explain "now its ONLY a 26" draw bow.
Shawn Acker

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:57:08 am »
I can't take credit for the idea.  A guy I met at last years Classic told me about it.  He sold laminated bows and had somebody break one by overdrawing it.  He used 1 strand of B-50.  He was shooting the bow with it on there.  He said it helped him from short drawing the bow while shooting.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:08:16 am »
Yep! That's always been a good rule.You can do a search on here and find lots of warnings for several years past.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:48:53 am »
With a 22 inch draw ya gotta be careful, great idea Osage outlaw, I will put the strings on 2 of the recurves that I let my friends shoot
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:22 am »
  Outlaw I know people that had a problem with target panic that would tie a string their draw leath. This works good. THIS WORKS BETTER THAN A CLICKER WHERE YOUR MINE HAS TO TAKE CHARGE. USEING MUSSLE MEMEROY IS MUCH BETTER.
    As far as handing my bow to someone. If he's not use to selfbows or traditional and I don't know his draw lenth. I DON'T nothing worse than someone drawing useing a compond draw trying to lock there elbo. I use to tiller a inch or 2 past just for a added safty feature. But this puts excess stress on your limbs that do'nt need to be there. Causeing excess set and string follow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 11:55:04 am »
 Osage Outlaw, thats a good idea! My friend handed his fiberglass bow to a young kid - he drew it back and "dry fired" it =  shattered limb. Needless to say my friend was very upset, that was his "meat bow".

Offline Lone500

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »
yep first 2 things to teach someone. never dry fire a bow and never pull it to far.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »
So true.  I had one that someone drew and drew it at about a million miles per hour like it was a powelifting competition - whamo.
1’—>1’

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
I like to let people shoot my bows, but I make sure they use my arrows which are cut to length so they can't overdraw.
Never let anyone draw without an arrow unless you are ure they can't pull it back to full draw (plenty of people tried my 90# ELB, but none got it anywhere near back to 28")
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:04 pm »
nope not me, i practically attack when people go near my hunting bow >:D (got liscense this summer) so i set a recurve from a yard sale aside along with a 1/2 doz arrows for guests.
Osage outlaw , can i use anything but B-50 for that limiting string like paracord (too heavy ???) or whatever. just wont have access to B-50 for a week of 2 and wondering if i can go for the cheapy fix

Offline zdogk9

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 03:15:58 pm »
25# fishing leader should work

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »
Any type of string or twine should work as long as it is tough enough to not break when they get it to full draw.  Like I mentioned earlier, this was not my idea.  It was from a guy at the Classic.