Author Topic: "Pillar Tiller"  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Bevan R.

"Pillar Tiller"
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »
I was reading the TG site and there is a thread about "Pillar Tiller". Using a bar clamp and a couple of risers instead of a long string for tillering to brace hight.

Has anyone here done that?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: "Pillar Tiller"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »
I leave my handle in my vice and just grab varying lengths of scrap wood to lift the string in the center. Same reslut with less "stuff" in my shop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:18:41 pm »
Hi Bevan,

Definitely.

Seem several folks post this method here.
Of course their names and the posts escape me at the moment...  ::)

Its a Very Cool idea!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »
I think that's what Gordon is demonstrating in his new build along. ;)
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »
Yes, I 'snagged' the picture from TG (slap my hand :-[) but my concern is I do not like to bend a stave past the target draw weight when I am bending it. I know the long string lies about the weight but it lies in favor of the wood. This method seems to me to be a bow buster. Maybe I am wrong, I was just wondering what people here think.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »
Shaun did a pillar tiller along on TG.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »
Haven't tried it yet, but it seems to me it would lead to better tiller before brace.  The "string angle" on the pillar tillar mechanism as you approach brace seems more similar to the string angle if it were correctly strung at incrementally greater brace heights, so I wouldn't think it would lie to you the way the long string does.  If you were afraid of drawing it beyond the target weight on the pillar tillar, i would think you could still use a scale and pull on the handle with it.  Ha, maybe you could put a bathroom scale under each pillar lol ;D

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:48 pm »
Okay,

Found the thread I was thinking of...

Thread was posted by Shaun back in December.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29461.0.html

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:45 pm »
Will certainly give that a go on the next stave. I will do anything to avoid that anoying string, unstring, string, unstring argghhh!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:00 pm »
Part of the reason I have asked about this, I have a bow press from my compound days and thought I would rebuild it into a 'pillar tiller' device.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 06:53:06 pm »
Part of the reason I have asked about this, I have a bow press from my compound days and thought I would rebuild it into a 'pillar tiller' device.

Great idea, Bevan.  I always support the idea of finding novel uses for garbage.  It should be a "Killer Pillar Tiller Tool".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »
I'm wondering about a bar clamp that might have a load cell installed into the clamping jaw to test for the amount of force being applied.  Anybody ever seen such a tool or will I have to make one for myself?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »
bevan what i did is i know in the back of my mind what the avg  on most of my bow s are so i made my tiller blocks  to match that no matter how much force i used it aint a bow buster cuz with the limited amount of travel there s no way i can go past what the bow would have in real life  i agree with ya if u stressed it way past that ya itd  b a bow buster  but if kept to a minum iv found it works wonderful  and i say take that ol compound press n go for it cut er down drill some hole s what ever it takes  make it work brock

Offline bcbull

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:29 pm »
i also forgot to add work it down slow a inch or so at a time use a teillering gizmo like eric make s and every time take it off  and work the bow about 40-50 times between wood removal i aint had many plms however do the last few inches the  old fashiond way to brace hight brock

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »
Thanks for the info Brock. Maybe this weekend I will see what I can cobble together.