Author Topic: The Grandson  (Read 4408 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
The Grandson
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:04 pm »
I finally got to do something today I've always wanted. I took my 10 year old Grandson squirrel hunting in the Green Swamp along the headwaters of the Withlacoochie River. He was hunting with his Christmas gift this year, a .410 single shot bolt action Sears & Roebuck shotgun, the first gun I ever owned. I had let him shoot all of my shotguns and he was the most comfortable with that one so I took it to the gunsmith and had him clean it up, add sling mounts and replace some screws with what was supposed to be there.

I slayed the squirrels yesterday and last weekend but they weren't cooperating this afternoon, but he had a real good time, shot a squirrel but didn't knock it out of the 60' maple tree. I shot it with a .22 and it hit the ground and crawled into a hole before we could get to it ???, Robo squirrel. But it was a great afternoon and nice to see him away from the Video games for awhile.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

Re: The Grandson
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:15:01 pm »
You're a lucky guy, Eddie! I don't have any grand kids yet, but I can't wait!!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:00:45 am »
Cool Eddie!  What a place you live in, huh?  Looks like yu should have on hip waders.    8) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:50 am »
Adam, I feel really lucky.

Derick, actually it is bone dry, that's why we are down in the river bottom. Usually those Cypress knees are barely above water during the rainy season. If you look close on the cypress trees you can see the high water mark. The only food for the squirrels is in the Water Maples, they're eating the seed pods. Yesterday I found 8 to 10 in one tree and shot 6.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:03 am »
Eddie,

Like was already said you are a lucky guy......But "I" can wait, and wait...oh, did I mention wait! :laugh:
Sounds like grandpa trained the critters before taking the youngster.....ya I know, got to teach the kid hunting is about the "hunt" not the kill!!! Good way to save shells to! :laugh: Looks like fun either way! ;)

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:44:04 am »
Eddie,

There is something special about a kid hunting or fishing with grandpa.  That had to be a great day and hopefully more fill follow.  My 8 year old granddaughter says we're going hog hunting when they come to visit this summer.  I'm looking forward to it, though I don't think she'll be old enough to shoot a pig.  I do plan to start on a bow for her so we can shoot together when she visits.  Her 6 year old sister will need one too now that I think about it.  I better get busy...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:27 am »
Eddie,

Thank you for sharing. That is one blessed bow. To own his grandfather's first gun and to hunt with it with his grandfather next to him. When he is a grandfather himself he will look back on this day with a grin and a bucket full of memories.

I don't own any guns from my grandfathers or my dad, but I'm changing that for my boy. Maybe one day your grandson and my son will get to hunt together.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:58 am »
Very cool, Eddie.  8)   Wish I had a grand kid.  :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:13:27 am »
Very very cool Eddie,got to love that,I need a grandson.[ Beau are you listening]
 ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
 Thanks Guys. It was special and I was proud of him. I walked him quite a bit at two different places and told him to keep track of which direction we were going. He did good, when it came time to go back to the Jeep I told him I'd follow. Both times he got us back with some coaching on what to look for.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »
Good going Eddie he's got a good teacher for sure. Great kid it's hard to find one who will listen like that. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Otis

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »
That is so cool Eddie. Mine are just a wee bit small for hunting now.  A couple more years and they may be ready. What is really nice is he can wear your camo with no adjustments. O:)  Couldn't resist. Sorry ole buddy. Only 6 weeks from Friday til we'll be heading to God's Country to shoot some gobblers. Let me know if you're flying and need a pickup from the airport.
                                                          David

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:10 pm »
Yea Ronnie, he's a good smart one. Almost perfect grades in school. He wants to be a gunsmith when he gets older.

Dave, yea, yea, he's wearing my leaf suit. It has elastic cuffs and wrist so it can bunch up on him. And more then likely I'll be driving. If gas goes up to $5 a gallon airline tickets will too. :'( ::) Can't wait to play. :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »
Sounds like you two had a great time. Him not getting anything this time will make the time when he does get something even more special.  That is the perfect shotgun to start out on.  Hope you get many more time like that.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:18:26 am »
God to pass on traditions like that, also nice camo suit. It is like where's Waldo in that thing
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.