Author Topic: What are these guys? Few pics  (Read 2875 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
What are these guys? Few pics
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:33 am »
What type of skins are these? Charles thinks they are orange color phase rat snakes, or watersnakes. I have two skins over 60" each and very wide. Its black and orange in color as you can see, and of average thickness for its size. I completely love them on my "Keeping it for myself" bow.

I add an "after" pic to match the glued up only pic. I like the way the Zip Guard colors the wood and skins.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:32:19 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

Re: What are these guys?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:15:22 am »
Looks just like the skins I have on "Semo's Best" Pearly. Texas rat snake I believe........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
Artsy they feel a bit thin for rats? The few rats I have used where like rawhide almost. Either way Im not complaining. I wanted a unique skin on this bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:22:47 am »
Yeah, mine were paper thin also Pearly. Probably a summer skin ;D.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:25:06 am »
I think the whole rat/bull/gopher group of snakes has that pattern and can vary in color, but the corn snake is called the red rat snake because that coloration is common.  That'd be my guess.  I have one skin like that too, so wide that it's painful to put on using the center pattern as there's so much waste.  Beautiful snake.  You can approximate that color with a regular rat/chicken snake by dying your bow orange before applying the skin.  I really like the look of fresh osage under a skin, but it fades in time.

George
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:30:48 am by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:28:53 am »
George he said he found them dead in a fish trap if that matters. Being a Texas boy you have a better "grip" on snake species than I ever will. We had two snakes in Michigan and one got hit by a car last summer on I-75.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:08 am »
Drums:  I have a texas rat, not yet on a bow.  It too is thinner than you'd expect.  Nice looking bow by the way!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:33:34 am »
Look like black rat snakes to me.  Usually when I find them over 5' long they are almost solid black.  I got bit by one of those last summer.  It took 2 weeks for the last tooth to work its way out of my hand  :P
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 10:39:23 am »
Matt: do you think that pic is enough to win BOM? I want that hat!

Clint: your just a straight up bad azz dude! You split and peel 5000 staves or whatever the count was and get bit by snakes like its a kiss from your wife! Your on my team man!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:13 am »
Drums:  Its not just the skins, but they do look nice.  You make some real nice bows.  Keep entering.  The hats aren't in yet, by the way. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:38 am »
Matt: do you think that pic is enough to win BOM? I want that hat!

Clint: your just a straight up bad azz dude! You split and peel 5000 staves or whatever the count was and get bit by snakes like its a kiss from your wife! Your on my team man!

I think it was stupidity more than anything  :D  It was hit by a car and I thought it was about dead.  I went to pick it up and it latched on to my hand.  The musk/poop was worse than the bite.  And when I'm about to finish it off, a car full of women stopped to watch some idiot fighting a snake in the middle of the road.  I didn't want to kill it in front of them so I opened my trunk and threw it in.  Once I got to work I finished it off and skinned it on the hood of my car. 

You know, for some reason I can't figure out, some of my co-workers think I am a little different  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 11:10:38 am »
You sound perfectly normal to me...
St Paul, TX

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:11 am »
that is what we here in mississippi call a corn snake. i have three in the freezer and to in a aquarium love their color.
doc

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:33 am »
Corn snake, or red rat snake, either one is right.  The juveniles are much more red, they get darker as they age.

Mike

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:45:28 pm »
Thanks for all the replies feller's. I will post the bow in a few days when Im done sealing it. The skins lightened up quite a bit after the scales came off, more orange in color now. The pic above is scales on.