Author Topic: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow  (Read 278241 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Winter project - Yew Recurve bow
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:15 am »
Great build along .....sometimes its ok to be in the middle and watch the carnage unfold >:D best of luck to both of you
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline snag

« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2012, 02:27:31 pm »
How about a clout or wand?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2012, 01:48:12 am »
Maybe we could have a good old fashion dual at sunrise!  >:D >:D   Rubber blunts, take twenty paces turn and fire >:D >:D   I get to be on the east side because I'm on the east team  ;D   No we can't do it at sunset.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2012, 03:00:16 am »
There is a reason it is always high noon!  >:D  Typical eastsiders.  ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gordon

« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2012, 03:21:02 am »
Before applying the snake skins I dye the back using Medium Brown leather dye. I do this because it will help bring out the pattern on the skins. Some folks prefer that the skins have a more subdued look and that’s okay, but I like the pattern to pop out.

I’m going to wrap the tips with sinew, so before the skins go on I apply the length-wise strands of sinew.  I work the sinew down to fine strands, size the tips with warm hide glue and then apply the sinew to the tips on strand at a time. I make sure that I lay down several strands in the string groves to provide reinforcement.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2012, 03:23:41 am »
I let the sinew cure for a couple for a couple of days and then use a knife blade to even the surface out a bit.

Now I prepare the snake skins by soaking them in warm (not hot) water for about 15 minutes. After they are hydrated I lay them on a clean towel to blot any excess moisture.

In the meantime I apply a thin coat of liquid hide glue to the back. A lot of folks don’t think much of liquid hide glue, but in my opinion it is one of the best adhesives for applying snake skin and rawhide. It sticks to snake skin and rawhide like crazy and when it is dry you can fix air pockets using a pin and a warm iron – try doing that with white glue. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:34:20 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2012, 03:26:33 am »
Before the glue has set I apply the skin to the limb and work out air pockets with a wooden dowel. It is very important to get out the air pockets because air pockets will result in unsightly cracks in the finish. Then I trim the skin using a razor blade. It is not necessary to wrap the limbs with an ace bandage because the hide glue firmly holds the skin to the back. I then repeat the process with the other limb.

After letting the glue cure for 24 hours, I remove the scales by gently running course steel wool over the surface in the direction of the scales. I’ve also used tape to remove the scales, but I think steel wool works much better.  After I’ve removed as many of the scales as I can with the steel wool, I use my finger nail to remove any lingering scale fragments.

After removing the scales, I trim the edges of the skin with 150 grit sandpaper and a block. To ensure you get a nice clean edge always sand toward the belly and in the direction of the scales.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2012, 03:31:11 am »
Now I finish wrapping the tips with sinew and let the wraps overlap the skins by a bit.

I set the bow aside in a warm room for a week to let any residual moisture from the skinning escape from the bow. I then sand the entire bow to remove any dried glue, remaining tool marks and scratches. I then “fix” the skins by applying two coats of super-glue. After than I apply a coat of shellac to the back, tips and belly as a primer. I use shellac as a primer because shellac is one of those wondrous materials that just about everything will stick to.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2012, 03:32:49 am »
I finish the tips by painting them with a black acrylic paint. The bow is now ready for the final finish to be applied.

Next up, building out the handle and applying a finish to the bow.
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2012, 03:47:55 am »
Wonderful!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2012, 04:54:21 am »
that is going to be a sweet shooter.i have one question...when you come to the gathering can i shoot it..john

Offline Gordon

« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2012, 05:20:58 am »
John, of course you can shoot it. I'm looking forward to seeing your family and you again.
Gordon

Offline danny f

« Reply #267 on: March 31, 2012, 06:34:16 am »
that is one awesome looking bow. well done and also a fantastic build along. :D

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #268 on: March 31, 2012, 12:31:49 pm »
I saw a movie, the other night. One of the characters in the movie was a distinguished gentlemen whose hobby was painting tiny statues under a microscope. He had the patience of Job. I couldn't help but think of Gordon and his slow, meticulous, deliberate, technique at putting together these pieces of art. Thanks, Gordon for the education I get from these build-alongs.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #269 on: March 31, 2012, 12:38:13 pm »
Oh man! 

I may have missed it but what is the length of this bow?