Author Topic: arguhhh Inclusions what a pain!  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Tower

arguhhh Inclusions what a pain!
« on: February 11, 2012, 06:58:43 pm »
Here are a set of pics that start with a blank after final percussion. Then its first stage pressure , second stage pressure & notching,& final pressure. I spalled & heated this stone in a roaster. Man it really knapped great except, for the semicircle inclusion. It should have been a much better point . Still a little rusty I guess.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Tower

Re: arguhhh Inclusions what a pain!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:02:10 pm »
Here the rest.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chief deer

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »
Looks like it still turned out good. Nothing like two or three qualities of stone in the same piece. Mike Smyth

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:18 pm »
For a craftsman like you, you only see the flaws.

For us humans, that is what we dream of being able to do. (I actually wish I could do even a quarter as well as you). From my view, that is a very good looking blade.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:38:12 pm »
Man  Tower, that turned out really nice! I was expecting a broken ear or something with the intro. In the first pics it looked like tough material, but looks pretty glassy in the final pics. Well done!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »
That is a great point.    I think you thin points like you were born to it.  I like the thin wide tip on that point.  Way to go working through that stone with all that was going on with it.  You are a notching crazy man!!!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
I'd be happy as a pig in you know what to have one come out that good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:08:23 pm »
 Excellent as always Don, way to knock the rust off. You are an inspiration sir! Thanks for sharing your work  :D
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:41:59 pm »
Sigh, if I could be twice as rusty as you it would be such an improvement for me.  Beautiful point.

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »
I'm still just in awe of your notches! Love the attention to detail on your edge work. Fascinating the way some of you guys can put it all together on a mediocre rock! Very well done!!

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:26:32 pm »
Hi everyyone,  i was wondering if you guys could clarify "inclusion" for a beginner.  I just wiki'd it and my understanding is that it is just a different mineral included in the main body of stone.  So the inclusion you are referring to is the white streak thru the tip portion of the piece??
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:30:43 pm »
Thanks guys. This one tried my patience for 3 hrs, I almost threw it down. Still wish it was thinner.

Offline Tower

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »
Yes sir that what it is. Most inclusions are like concrete, it just dosent knap like flint. It can ruin a nice point before it even begins. Unfortunatly flint, chert can have a lot.

Offline elremolino

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 01:33:07 pm »
Good job, Don. I had this exact same thing happen on an Andice I made from G-town. It actually had three different "textures" with the worse being pure concrete. I did still finish it, all intact. If I could ever figure out how to post a picture on here, I would show it. Again, fine job on getting through the problem spots!!!

Kinley

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 02:30:28 pm »
Don you are right. You better send that to me for safe keeping.

That's a fine point brother! Wow. Really!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.