Author Topic: Primitive nootka rose arrow  (Read 13941 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Primitive nootka rose arrow
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:16 pm »
Ok, Maybe I just need to hydrate my old dry feathers.  Thanks Pat!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 03:04:53 pm »
You can seal them up in a plastic bag with a damp(not wet) paper towel in it and give them a few hours to rehydrate. Do a test run and hydrate more if necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 02:36:42 am »

Pat, I got the idea for the Cherokee two fletch from one of your postings.  I had Mullet (Eddie) help me with it.  I made two arrows for the boss of Friend of mine.  The Boss had under gone prostate surgery, and my Friend told me that he was into arrow heads, and stone tools, and such, as he had found quite a few artifacts in the strawberry fields, so I made a traditional cane arrow with three fletch,and one primitive cane arrow with the two fletch style.  I had Eddie help with it, as I was not sure about the little tab on the end of the feather.  He helped me put some pitch glue, and some sinew on it. Both had stone points, and Eddie was really nice, and donated a point he made from Washington agate or something like that, and an original point, either a Noonan or a Hillsborough, but the stem was broken, and he gave some other neat stuff that he had gotten out of the river, also.  The Friend of mine showed some stuff he had, and he some heat treated chert, and told me of some really neat finds, and that one guy had found a "Perfect condition Hillsborough"!  Well he sold that for quite a substantial amount!  As I would have! ;)  But anywho that is where I got the info on the two fletch.  I know Eddie really likes them.  I am going to make some with target points, and see if they really do fly like darts! ;)
                                        Wayne

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:10 am »
CMB-
are you familiar with this book?    
Naked Against the Rain: The People of the Lower Columbia River 1770-1830 by Rick Rubin
saw it at powells on hawthorne.
really wanted to grab it up. 
its a huge thick book and seemed to be well done from the few minutes i sat down and looked thru it.
just didnt have the cash to take it  home that day.
if you are familiar please let me know if you think it is worth my time
(can be found on amazon for less money than powells)
thanks

wild women don't get the blues

Offline Will H

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 12:28:27 pm »
That is one beautiful arrow! Well done!  :) :) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:08 pm »
thanks for that tip Pat,
didn't know about rehydrating older feathers, to get them to split.  do you just soak them for a day or so?
i'll try it on some older turkey feathers.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:43 pm »
thanks for that tip Pat,
didn't know about rehydrating older feathers, to get them to split.  do you just soak them for a day or so?
i'll try it on some older turkey feathers.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:36 pm »
looks like i'm repeating myself...looks like i'm repeating myself...
ok!
just got the info about putting dry feathers in a sealed bag with something damp.
we also strip feathers for making our traditional headdress. (((we have a lot of dry feathers)))

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 07:48:32 pm »
sadiejane, sorry, but I am not familiar with that book.  I just started researching local native american history/archeology. That looks like it is worth reading, maybe purchasing.  I don't have much time to make runs to the library, but just discovered that they will ship a book to my door for $2.00. It is pretty nice.

Thanks for the compliment Will.

Richard, do you split a lot of feathers?  I am trying to get my hands on a couple hundred feather "shafts" (rachis, or rachi)

If anybody else wouldn't mind saving these for me after pulling feathers off the shaft, please PM me.  I would be looking for those shafts that are pretty much left in tact and not to damaged from pulling the feather off.
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline richardzane

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 08:42:56 pm »
there are times we strip alot of feathers,
but there usually isn't much left of them to save...usually one side strips better than the other.

to strip them?  grab a feather at the very end tip with both hands and start right at the top and pull it straight down the shaft.
one side will peel first.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »
This was a is very beautiful arrow. I am curious, how long did it take from start to complete?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:30 pm »
Very cool arrow, love everything about it. definately one to be proud of.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »
came across another book that i thought some of you might be interested in.
i have not read it yet-but got it one the way from a friend
"cedar:tree of life to the northwest coast indians". by hilary stewart
came with high recommendation from someone i really respect.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:30 pm »
I tried the rehyrdating them old feathers and wow!  What a difference. They zip right off now.  Nice and uniform.  I just placed a couple dozen feathers in a long plastic zip loc. (fish fillets from grocery store) and placed a damp paper towel in with them and then placed the bag in a warm car for an afternoon.  Let them air out for a day or two in the garage, and when i got to them.  I was excited with the results.  Now i need to get to prcoessing some of these feathers I got stashed. 

Dictionary, thanks for the compliment.  I would say the arrow did not take more than an afternoon to make, excluding the shafting.  Hard to say how long the shaft takes.  After seasoning a bit I skin them, then season some more, then scrape the nodes/buds down and clean them up, then straighten with heat, let sit for a couple weeks, then straighten again, if needed.  then i cut notches in the ends for nock and point.  Once that is done, the rest is not too much work.  Cut and shape the point, thin the cherry bark, wrap the feathers, mount the point, sinew, sinew, and glue on cherry bark. Finish with shellac once sinew is dry.

Sadie, I have not heard of that book.  I must check it out.  I have been wanting to learn various uses of cedar bark, and how to use it.  Thanks!

Offline Adam

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 09:58:50 pm »
Wow!  Absolutely incredible arrow!  Great photography too.