Author Topic: bow bench  (Read 3891 times)

Offline sadiejane

bow bench
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:38:09 pm »
am i a lucky gal or what?
my buddy brian made me a new bow bench
need to paint or stain or seal somehow as its not treated wood
and its gonna be outside mostly. this is right where i work in the winter

thought  the extra bit of wood he cut into an arrowhead was a nice detail.
it has those little screw in thingies that i can use to level on the bottom of the legs.
thanks brian!
(maybe one of these days he'll figure the internet thing out and can get on here too)

wild women don't get the blues

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: bow bench
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »
Cool bench! I like it.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »
That is cool.  I like your built in fire pit too.  I bet its nice to work near a fire on a cold fall afternoon.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »
Nice setup. Handy place to throw shavings!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »
Very nice craftsmanship, the arrowhead is a nice touch. I like those (I think they're called sawhorses) working setups & want one but don't see how it can work for a shorty like myself(tillering&shaping) when it is awkward working in a setup made for someone else taller than me standing up, sitting while working would seem awkward
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »
osage outlaw-thanks-that firepit sees a lot of use. had a nice fire going yesterday and sat there for a few hrs working on arrows. using the fire to straighten the cane. it was about 35, damp, even spit a few flakes now and then. i was toasty!

bevan-yup easy cleanup of those shavings! tho i gotta watch myself sometimes i get so lost in what im doing bout catch my pants legs on fire!

youngboyer-i think this setup would work regardless of height. wayne, our bowmaking guru, has about 8 of em at the shop now where we have class on wed nites. there is a gal, jenna, who a tiny wisp of a woman(prolly not much over 5'). it works for her just fine. they are all basically the same dimensions. made of scrap or whatever is handy(as my old one is). tho i have to say all the ones at the shop are 2 x 6s and this one is 2 x 8(as is my old one) that 8" wide board is much easier on this old arse than the 6" board...
as for awkward-this is how i learned and it just seems natural now. you can make the box where the bow is clamped as high or low as you prefer so there is no bending over.  the stave can be positioned on either side of you while you work near the middle. tho i have also stood at the workbench with the bow in a vice. works real well too.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:41 pm »
Hi Sadiejane,I would say yearly coat with tongue :P or linseed oil would be best,whatever urethane will def crack over time(it doesn't like expansion and contraction or uv's),just make sure you let the seat dry for a week before you sit on it ;D!  Oh...and PLEASE don't paint it!!!  ;) Ron

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:18 pm »
ok ron-ya stopped me-i have a gallon of grey porch paint in the shed or garage or basement or somewheres im sure-use it to sell staves.
its the only thing on hand-but yr right, brian put a good deal of time into makin this for me. the wood deserves to shine on thru from now on...

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »
what a nice gift. This may sound a bit silly but what is the box on the end of the bench used for???

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:49:31 pm »
dazv asked-"This may sound a bit silly but what is the box on the end of the bench used for???"

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:39:08 pm by sadiejane »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:51:59 pm »
I think a stain and then some linseed or some other oil. Maybe get fancy and stain everything except the arrowhead. :D

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »
Hey thats a nice bench!
Clever and simple clamping solution, wish I had thought of that when I built mine!
Quebec, Canada

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26:36 pm »
Hey thats a nice bench!
Clever and simple clamping solution, wish I had thought of that when I built mine!

I have saved pics of both this one and yours. I think a hybrid of the 2 will be just what I have been wanting.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 03:05:27 am »
Nice bench sadie did you ever get my reply to your pm you sent me? if not il reply again ;D ;)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 03:09:43 am »
That's a nice gift. That arrow head is a nice touch. Your patio looks a lot like mine, minus the fire pit, but I do have a clay chiminea on it.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.