Author Topic: Hickory backed edge grain yew 60"  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Hickory backed edge grain yew 60"
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:12:37 am »
I had a piece left over from making a sinewed yew shorty and decided to try and steam recurve a R/D longbow with a hickory back.  I steamed it and when I bent it it went crack on the belly!  Don't think I steamed it quite long enough...plus I had to run to my garage to clamp it.  Learned a lesson there.  It lifted a crack along the grain on the edge right in a cluster of pin knots, and I'm thinking if I round the whole thing it might go away :-\  Then like a smart guy I watered down my TBIII in the bottle because I only had a little left.  Will this effect the integrity of the glue?  Had a rough glue line even after sizing the back, ended up puttying glue in the cracks but I've got some bubbles...Should I just wrap it every 12" or so with glue and thread or should the backing come off?  I'm really hoping this will work out to even a 40# draw weight at 25"  It is 60", 1 1/16 wide and 1/2" at the tips so far, 7/8" thick all the way.  Any input will be appreciated, I learned how to make bows basically off this forum from all of your wisdom.  Thank you
S.Sprague
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:18:35 am by Peacebow_Coos »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hickory backed edge grain yew 60"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:48:10 am »
Interesting experiment, but too far out of my comfort zone to offer any useful comment.
These days I try to rig up heat and bend at the same time when using steam.
LIke this... http://www.bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2012/02/spot-of-steam-bending.html
Good luck
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Qwill

Re: Hickory backed edge grain yew 60"
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:17 am »
Yikes. It sounds like you maybe didn't get good clamping pressure? I've done that with white glue, and had it hold for a while, then fall apart. It might be worth taking it apart and trying again. I've used watered down glue on guitars, but they have more static strain, not having to flex like a bow.