Author Topic: Fletching Jig and Spine Tester  (Read 9411 times)

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
Fletching Jig and Spine Tester
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:47:46 pm »
I'm not sure this is a proper build-along but here are some photos of the finished projects. Almost finished in the case of the fletching jig.

If anyone wants drawings, I'd be happy to make them and post them. I pretty much built these on the fly.

The first is roughly based on 2Jays spine tester. At least that's where I got the scale.

This is a fletching jig I saw on some youtube video. It's not completed yet, I offset the V notches about 3/32 to impart a twist on the feather. I can slip little pieces of veneer in place if I want to remove the offset.

I ran a couple of self tapping screws through both plates to act as locator pins. I ground off the part of the screw that was proud, removed the second plate and filed the remaining threads from the screw.
The thumb tabs make opening the clamp with one hand very easy, the locator pins keep it from slipping, I added a small black metal spring clip to either side of the thumb tabs.
When it's all done I'll upload a few more photos of it in action.

Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Fletching Jig and Spine Tester
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:25:32 pm »
Looks great.  If I am not mistaken, you need a 2 pound weight for the spine tester.  From your pics, looks like you have only a couple of ounces.  Do you use other weights than the fishing sinkers used in your photos.

I too made a 2 Jays tester and use a glass jar with a hook in the lid filled with BBs so that it weighs exactly 2 pounds.  Not perfect, but good enough for my uses.       

Russ

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:26 am »
Those are two, 16 ounce sinkers! I didn't know they got that big.
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:05 pm »
neither did I. 

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »
Those are two, 16 ounce sinkers! I didn't know they got that big.

Go halibut fishing in Alaska. They measure the weights in pounds for that. 8)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:01 pm »
Wow. I just googled halibut fishing tackle.

Holy... uh... Mackerel

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:21 pm »
nothing like 700-800 feet of water off of the Oregon coast reeling up 5 pounds of lead with no fish on the hook. You really want to leave it down until there is a fish on the end!

Offline fsseg

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:10:08 am »
I sure would enjoy some instructions on how to build that spine tester. I've been wanting to make one for awhile now but needed some direction. Can you help me out please? Thanks id really appreciate it.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
If you google 2 Jays spine tester you will find the instructions. 

Russ.