Author Topic: Looking for some help with hhb bow  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Looking for some help with hhb bow
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:29:01 am »
Looking good, What Marc said on the splinter. :)Love HHB it is some very good bow wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 09:57:06 am »
Thanks Marc and Pappy! Will do. How far ya think I can get with it I was hoping for 55lbs@28 but some said that 28 is pushing it. Right now I'm 40Lbs@20.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:10 am »
That would be pushing it a little for me,but I am conservative on that kind of stuff,IW is tough and would probably take it. If you really need 28 inch draw I would probably go for it but would be sure I need it first.No need in pulling it any more than you need. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 10:20:34 am »
Thanks Pappy that is what my current draw is but I could play around with a different anchor. And just to be clear Marc was saying to soak it with crazy glue then clamp it or soak it with something then crazy glue? Looks like he missed a word.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 10:39:33 am »
Soak it in crazy glue then clamp. :) :) I wouldn't change the way You shoot if that is truly you draw,go for it.I just here so many that say they have a 28 or more
draw length and then when/if I get the chance to measure under real shooting most aren't. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:24 am »
Yeah I hear ya on that and I was hoping I was wrong it has been awhile since I checked it but just last night I stuck a piece of cardboard on my arrow drew it back let it down and and measured 28 on the nose. So I guess I'll go for it but man I hate to see this one break. From now on I think I'll go longer I was just trying to make something similar to what I'm hunting with right now. Oh and one more question what could I do to prevent gluing my clamp to the bow? I can just see myself doing that!  :-\

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 10:54:48 am »
I would just put a thin piece of paper on even wood and then just sand it off when you are done. It should make 28 ok,like I said it is tough wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 11:00:34 am »
Ok thanks alot Pappy I really appreciate your help and advice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 11:52:33 am »
Can you get a little more bend near the fades?  In the pics in the first part of this thread it looks like the inner limbs are a bit stiff. A little bend there will work out to more movement at the tips increasing the draw length.
  I agree about the super glue. With the crack being in the fade from bending the bow backwards I doubt you will have a problem with it. If it were on the back it would be totally different situation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »
Yeah I think I can Pat I was working on that on the left limb especially but I'm trying to avoid that spot where it's bending hard I think I'm gonna focus on the left inner by the fade and midlimb like Marc was saying and prolly a little midlimb on the right. I've already got it looking better than the original pics. Thanks
   Mike

young indian12

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »
you should leave it as a short draw and send it to me! >:D

It is looking real good. with the splinter, you should put some glue in it and clamp it just as the others said.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »
Listen to the wooooood  ;D I think your pushing your luck some and may loose a lovely little shorter draw bow there. Either way it does grow on trees so....
No help at all was I.  ::)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
You can use a piece of plastic between the clamp and the wood, the crazy glue wont stick to that.  As long as the back is pristine and you are very careful with the tiller, making the most use of the wood you have, then you can get 28" out of that bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Judo Point

Re: Looking for some help with hhb bow (it made it!!!)
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:21 pm »
Well first off I wanna thank everyone for the comments, advice and encouragement I really appreciate it. It's not perfect but she sure shoots nice and I'm very happy with it for my first bow. It's 60" ntn 57lbs @ 28" and shoots a 597gn arrow 155fps. I've shot close to a hundred arrows through it and I can't hardly tell the difference between it and my Fiberglass bow there is no stack and it's smooth. I can't even explain how excited I am about this but I'm sure you all know how I'm feeling. Well here are some pics.

Unbraced

Braced

Full draw

Back unbraced

All I have left is stain,seal & wrap the handle which I'll post more pics when that's done but it might be a while I've got a busy next couple weeks. Well thanks again everyone!
Mike