Author Topic: Looking for some help with hhb bow  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Judo Point

Looking for some help with hhb bow
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »
Hi everybody haven't posted here in a long time but I'm always reading and amazed at the bows you all make well I just started trying to make some and was being stubborn wanting to do it with out help but my first attempt blew up on me which was a white ash I'm now working on this one

It's hop hornbeam and is 60" ntn 1 3/4" wide to about half the limb length then tapers to 1/2" the lower limb is an inch shorter than the top. I think I've got the tiller pretty good but would like your input here is a pic strung at full brace

The distance from limb to string on the lower limb is an 1/8" less than the top limb which I think is ok it's the same on my fiberglass backed bow. Well here is a pic of it pulled to 16"

And here it is at 18"

Well I think its looking pretty good but there is a few things messing with me. The bottom limb which is on the left has a slight reflex coming off the handle and the top limb deflexes off the handle when unstrung the other thing is when I flipped the tips I got the top limb a little sharper of a curve. I know the pics aren't real good but I hope there good enough if not I can try a better background. Well please critique and tell me what you think.   Thanks Mike

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Looking for some help with hhb bow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:13:00 pm »
Looks like your right limb is a little stiff about 4 to 5 inches from the handle? Other than that it looks pretty sweet! What draw and draw weight are you shooting for?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
Oh yeah I'm shooting for 55lbs@28 it's still a bit over weight.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:23:39 pm »
With a 60 inch, un-backed, stiff handled ,HHb stave ,that weight and draw are pushing it.... You might get away with 55#@26"
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:33:26 pm »
Thanks I was afraid of that. Well maybe I'll just have to learn to shoot a little shorter draw. Another question I have is when I measure my draw length I measure to the back of the bow but when measuring draw on the bow your measuring from the belly side of the handle right?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:29 am »
ok first off i gotta ask is ur lower limb longer thaN THE TOP ?  I SAY LEAVE THE RIGHT LIMB ALONE THE LEFT NEEDS THE WORK GET A 4 IN TILLERING GIZMO  TAKE OFF WOOD ONLY IN UR HIGH SPOTS  I USE SAND PAPER WHEN IM THAT CLOSE  AND THAT SHOULD EASLIY MAKE A 55 # BOW HHB IS DAMN TOUGH STUFF IV MADE A 58" LONG HHB @28 PUSHIN 60 EASEY  BROCK

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:19:02 am »
The lower limb (one on the left) is an inch shorter than the top. And what's messing with me is the way the top limb naturally deflexes straight back off the handle and the bottom limb naturally reflexes for a little ways off the handle so I think it's giving an optical illusion. But I don't know enough to be confident in what I'm seeing. So I appreciate everbodys input.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:13 am »
Looks to me like you need to flip the left/bottom tip a little more to match the right limb. Then get a little more bend in the same mid limb should even out on your tiller. But i'm no pro just how it looks to me. I think it will take the 55# no worry but again I'm no pro.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 11:33:18 am »
It is generally excepted to measure from the back of the bow for selfbows . It is just adding confusion to do otherwise .
Your bow is a little short for the draw Length you are wanting .
that does not mean you cant do it ,just makes it a little harder and you will most likely end up with more set than most folks want to ! some folks like that gull wing look .
You are doing a fine job ! It could have been easier if you had straightened that stick be for you started but you are allmost there now so have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »
You are right to point out about the deflex/reflex out of the handle. If you get another stave like this remember it's best to have the lower limb deflexed/upper reflexed if thats your choice otherwise try to even them up a little before tillering.
I think it's looking good so far but it may help to get the tips at the same angle. Slowly does it from now on. Lots of exercising after any wood removal. Hornbeam will respond very well to heat treating and it may be a good idea to do it now and fix the tip and maybe also even out the limb shapes out of the handle whilst it's hot.

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »
Well thanks everybody for the advice I think I'm gonna start by trying to match the tips and maybe bend the upper limb off the handle to match up the two limbs which will make it alot easier to see what's going on. This has been quite a challenge and learning experience so far everything has been done with tomahawk, knife and rasps oh and heat gun. Lol Well thanks again I'll keep ya posted on the progress. Oh and I thought I had read somewhere that it was better to have the more reflexed limb on the bottom. Not sure where I got that from but thanks for setting me straight on that.

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »
Ok I fixed the lower limb tip and Reflexed the upper limb off the handle. I didn't get it perfect but it's pretty close. But while bending the upper limb a splinter lifted right on the end of the fade. After unclamping and a little sanding it's almost gone but I don't want to sand down anymore if I don't have to I'm thinking with were it is maybe a little super glue and forget it?  I don't know. What do you guys think? Here's a couple pics it's the squiggly line towards the top.

I hope you can see it I realize the pics aren't very good but all I have is my phone cam.

Offline Lone500

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:17:06 am »
i believe its lifting a splinter at that spot because of all the stresses. i believe their has been some discussion on how to design the fades to avoid this.

found it in this thread.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30412.0.html
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Judo Point

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:27:25 am »
Lone500 you could be right on that the fade is definitely pushing it but I remember seeing this early on before I even bent it and that's why I made this fade so close trying to get rid of it which I thought I did but when I heated it up and tried reflexing it some it poped up again. It seams like a pretty shallow sliver but I don't want to sand down any further because of that reason with the fade barely going past the widest point of the limb. What do ya think I should do to try to fix this?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:28 am »
That splinter is on the belly side so it shouldn't pose a problem.  Just soak it with then crazy glue and clamp it down.  The tiller is not bad but get the mid limbs working a bit more especially on the left limb.  Go slow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com