Author Topic: finishes  (Read 8724 times)

Offline billmac

finishes
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:56:34 am »
We've got a bunch of bows in the hot box and are ready to start cranking out some bows, after a summer of mostly cleaning and setting up the bow shop.  The bow shop itself is in a fairly shaded, humid area.  I'm going to clear the trees out around it (mostly black locust  ;D) but I'm worried about the bows regaining moisture.  Can the bows be, I don't know, semi-sealed, while they are being worked on?  A coating of something?  Any suggestions?

Also, we don't know anything about finishes.  I'm not real interested (yet) in collecting pine pitch or anything like that, but I'd like to start with a nice basic finish.  What do you suggest?

Also, what are the differences between tung oil and tru oil?  Which one is easier to obtain?    If you are going to stain, do it first, then the oil?  Any finishes over the oil?

If I use jute for the handle, how do I seal that?

Sorry for the machine gun barrage of questions.

Thanks

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: finishes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 11:06:52 am »
I just seal them with brush on Polythene till I start the bow.I use tru oil on the finished bow
and you would stain it first. :) I use the rub on tru oil but the spray will work also it just don't go as far and cost more. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:50 am »
I've used spar varnish for a finish but I like true oil better. In Marc's post "BB Santos Rosewood" he states that he uses shellac followed by tungoil, shellac, tung oil and finally paste wax. To seal jute handle wrap I've found that elmers white glue diluted with a little water works real good, I usually do two applications.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:05:49 pm »
I use Tru-Oil on all my bows. Tung oil makes a good finish but you have to keep applying it to get a good coating.   For a temporary sealer, spray shellac works well. I use it to seal backs and ends of staves and sometime use it when heating wood to keep it from drying out too much. It is compatable with steam. Most any other finish will be compatable with shellac also. Even a well sealed bow will take on and give off moisture as the R/H changes. A good sealer will slow down this M/C rate.
   I have used TBII and TBIII to seal a twine handle wrap but found out that it becomes sticky in humid conditions or with hand sweat. I now use Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) Not primitive but will seal the handle very well and you still get the textured grip for a good hand purchase. 
   A good primitive finish for bows is hand rubbed bear fat(deer fat also). A friend was rendering bear fat when he nocked the container over on his deck. Water still only beads up on that section of his deck and that was 5 years ago.     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 12:07:50 pm »
                                  Ifn ya aint got bear fat rendered hawg fat does the same thing. ;)..........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:34:24 pm »
Bob thats basically lard isn't it?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:07:04 pm »
Rendered hawg fat , ya mean like the pickle jar next to the stove I pour the bacon grease in ? That's what I use.  :D

Ralph
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:37:02 pm by welch2 »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:33:37 pm »
        Ya Dana its lard. Ya render anythin' ta get rid of any bacteria. Ifn ya want just the oil heat it up and wait 'till the oil starts ta rise ta top as it cools and pour off. Crisco is vegetable  based but it works almost as good as deer er bear er hawg. Plus yer hands get a nice oil treatment at the same time . Other members of household seem ta get hostile when ya paw stuff. Hmm wonder why ?  ??? Aint got a pickle jar Ralph but sounds pretty good ta me  ;D.........bob

Offline billmac

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:17:19 pm »
OK.  I've been looking around.  What I'm seeing is Tru-Oil gun stock finish.  Is that what you guys are talking about when you say tru-oil?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:46:35 pm »
Yup thats it bill, fairly pricey for the amount you get but it is a nice finish,
Thanks bob Think I will try some oscar meyer lard next time, the smell of bacon grease would just make me hungry when hunting ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 03:53:39 pm »
Yup thats it bill, fairly pricey for the amount you get but it is a nice finish,
Thanks bob Think I will try some oscar meyer lard next time, the smell of bacon grease would just make me hungry when hunting ;D
Piggys are used ta "makin bacon" and they get hungry too ! ;D..bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 04:04:53 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:41:12 pm »
Paraffin, easy, cheap, and as you are keeping working on the bow any next application will blend in with the old one so nwell you'll never see a difference ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:52:48 pm »
    Manny, Have you tried sex wax yet? ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 10:09:31 pm »
O MAN, :o ::) ??? I just thought I had heard it all.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good