Author Topic: surger maple?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline paulsemp

surger maple?
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:13:11 am »
Got a couple of sugar maples that need to come down. I have always thought of it as the garbage of maples. Some of the people on here have done things that I did not think is possible with different woods. Have any of you made a bow from it or is it just wishful thinking?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: surger maple?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:39:01 am »
Garbage?  Don't know where you got that idea.  Sugar Maple makes excellent bows and I have made many of them with it.  Up here it is 3rd on my list of preferred local bow making wood, better than White Ash but below HHB and Elm.  Do not let it sit around for long without splitting as bugs love it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:55:15 am »
I've made a few from sugar maple and love the wood.  Unfortunately , the only maple commonly found where I live is silver maple, which is the worst of the maples. As far as I know anyway.  Josh

Here is one I made last year from a hard(sugar)maple-
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:01:06 am by Gun Doc »

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »
  Are  we  talking the broad leaf maple  like the Canadian flag???   allways  wondered  we have lots of them round here  JeffW

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:02:14 pm »
hey Gun Doc, I did not know that sugar maple is the same as hard maple sold in lumber yards

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:33:22 pm »
Hard maple is sort of a generic term used to describe several species of the denser variety maples.  Just like white or red oak could include several different  species of oaks that are somewhat similar.  Same thing with hickory lumber.  Josh

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:08:18 pm »
Gun Doc, thank you for the info . I always wondered why my tree book did not have "hard maple" in it!!!!