Author Topic: First osage effort...with 15+ year old billets  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First osage effort...with 15+ year old billets
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 02:46:43 pm »
Looks like I'm too late, but I'd vote against pinning. I can't really see what it's supposed to achieve, unless it's carefully done so that it closes the joint as it's pressed in.
Great looking billets.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:08:22 pm »
I wouldnt worry about them, they are so small of a surface area, it will be ok. I have bows with violations like that, and I blend the violations into the back ring with a medium grit sandpaper to prevent sharp edges or stress risers from forming. It will be fine. However, if you still worry, wrap it, the mass wont matter on the fades, and wrap the other side for visual ballance.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »
Thanks sleek. That is the reassurance I was looking for. 

Del, I did not pin it.  I think Pinning the joint could help hold alignment if you are using play in the joint to get tip aligned during glue-up.  Sounds like most here are against pinning. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »
Full draw pics.  It is pulling ~45-50 @ 28 after ~150 arrows.  Shoots great off the knuckle. Asymetrical tiller.  top limb + 1 1/2".  Sturgeon skin backing with sturgeon skin glue.  Lower limb took about 1 3/4" set and the upper limb about 1" resulting in about 1" string follow on both limbs, closer to 1 1/2" just after shooting. Just need to add a grip wrap and call it done.   

I did have little trouble tillering with the lower limb being what it is.  I was aiming for higher weight, but I took what she gave me.  Overall, I am really happy with it.  I will have to get some close up pics of the skins once I get the handle finised I can't wait to start on the sister billets, which are much cleaner and have a nice matched natural recurve towards the tips.
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:54:25 pm »
Good job with that wood, CMB. That's what I call patience!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:47:28 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline coaster500

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:57 pm »
Good work staying with that one...  looks like you got rewarded very well :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:16 am »
Thanks Lesken and coaster.  I am really pleased with this bow.  The more I shoot it, the more I like it.  I do have to admit I still want to work on that lower limb.  I feel like I could take off some mass from the knot on out, and I have even been fighting the urge to pick out the glue and sawdust filling to expose the natural cavity...am I crazy!

TurtleCreek

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:30 am »
Nice work!!!  Love the bow.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 09:41:00 am »
That is a real nice bow CMB. A  challenging piece to work with. Thanks for sharing. Dean

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:21 am »
I like that bow a lot.  That last full draw picture is especially nice.  Good work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 02:23:30 am »
Thanks TurtleCreek.  Dean, thanks.  I am starting in on that #1 osage stave you sent back in winter.  I have a feeling that piece of osage will be a little less of a nail-biter than this one was. 

I like that bow a lot.  That last full draw picture is especially nice.  Good work.
George

Thanks George, I think the last photo shows the tiller best.  The angles in the other two pics tend to make the lower limb look stiffer than it really is.