Author Topic: Hide away stave rack  (Read 2692 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Hide away stave rack
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
My idea for a hide away stave rack seems to be working so I thought I would share it.  My workshop isn't very big so I have to get creative with storage sometimes.  Underneath my workbench was an area that collected junk and clutter.  It looked like a good area to store staves.  I spent $14 at Lowes for wheels and a 2x4.  The rest of the lumber was stuff I already had laying around.  I used a screw eye and a carriage bolt to make a primitive hinge on the outside right corner so it would pivot.  I put a thin spacer board between each layer for air circulation.  I tied a piece of rope onto it to pull it out with.  It doesn't look like it in the first picture, but when it is pushed in, it is flush with the front of the work bench.   

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lone500

Re: Hide away stave rack
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:00:29 pm »
im so jelous at all that wood you have. nice rack.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:10:18 pm »
Very clever and good use of space.
If you need more stored, I want to be the first to offer. O:)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:40:44 pm »
Arent you Mr. Fancy Pants! That turned out great Clint. Thats not what I had in mind when you described it to me. Now ya got me re-thinking my rack plans.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »
It's going to be a pain in the butt if I want to get a piece from the bottom, but I won't have to worry about that for at least a year  ;D

Offline Lone500

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 07:51:24 pm »
you got enough wood to outfit a medieval army with bows :o
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »
I couldn't see the rack past all those pretty staves.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:41:06 pm »
Hey Justin, everybody should keep an extra Clint around eh? I wouldnt have so dang many bark on staves piled up in the shop and garage. The guy is a well oiled working macheen.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:21:08 am »
Great idea!  That's a much better way to sift through staves than clamoring around on your hands and knees under there.

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:46 pm »
i never thought i would say this to a dude,but nice rack Clint.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 01:15:56 pm »
Does heavenly harp music play when the rack is rolled out??  O:) ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:45:01 pm »
With all of the work I see get done here - do any of you have "real" jobs?  Between my commute, job and the grandkids living in my house I don't have totime to doanything unless I can get it done in the Museum where I work.  Beautiful staves, shops, knives, points and well everything. thank you all for the inspiration! Maybe one day too I will have some shop time!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »
No, I hear a squeaky noise.  I think I am exceeding the weight limit on the wheels.

Seabass:   Thanks  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Yeah but what do you do with the junk under your work bench. It needs a special place too!  ;)
  Nice deal Clint. I wish I had your problem of worrying how I was gonna get the one off the bottom.  ::)  Sheesh.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »
Hey Justin, everybody should keep an extra Clint around eh? I wouldnt have so dang many bark on staves piled up in the shop and garage. The guy is a well oiled working macheen.
No kidding, I could use a couple of them. One to get the bark off, and one at work so I could go home and build bows.

YO Ben, I hear ya, Im finishing up my Bachelors degree on top of everything else. No time to do anything fun.  :'(
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah