Author Topic: paper thin Osage rings  (Read 5604 times)

Offline hook

paper thin Osage rings
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:27:08 pm »
I have a piece of osage that I cut and split last year. There was some rot in it and long story short. the stave went from long to short. About 43 inches so I decided to make a kids bow. About 20#s at 20".
The growth rings are paper thin and difficult not to violate. Will this make a lightweight bow and still not crack my grandson on the head thus causing him to hate archery forever?

Thanks for the advice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: paper thin Osage rings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Back it woth rawhide to be sure. Its easy and cheap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:34:41 pm »
I have a bigger version than yours I got from John Strunk not to long ago I plan to back it with rawhide but im curious as well what peoples thoughts are on the tight ringed Osage. Sorry I cant help ya hook i dont live in osage country so I dont have much experiance with it, your not asking much however so im sure you could get away with it just doo allot of testing before giving it to you grandson. Look forward to an update on this one when it is done!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:07 pm »
I have some super skinny rings. I saw it up into slats for backed bows. Just not worth the headache anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:41:41 pm »
Well exactly how thick are the rings? If 1/16" that should be ok. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:52:27 pm »
If you can chase a ring it will for sure work.  So far I've never cut an osage stave I've not been able to take to a growth ring, but I suspect it'll happen sooner or later.  At that light draw weight I'd be surprised it you had a problem.  Back it with silk, thin cotton cloth or even brown grocery bag paper to be sure it'll take a kid's overdrawing.  You can probably find a pattern on the cloth your grandson would find cool.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »
I love thin ringed osage. It seems to have more zip to it. I generally back thin ringed osage with rawhide...but that doesn't always protect against stupidity!  ;D

This bow had very thin rings and over a thousand shots through it when stupidity hit!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:07 pm »
I think I remeber that little woops Pat?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:09 pm »
Ouch!  :-[
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »
I think I remeber that little woops Pat?
looks more like a BANG woops
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:02:25 am »
All the Osage (ok, most all) I have harvested has been relatively thin ringed...I didn't know any better when I started but you can chase a ring just like the folks who are lazy and use the thick ringed stuff ( >:D) and I too think it lends for a rather zippy bow.  Good Luck~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:10:10 am »
Pat I dont recall that happening, do you have a link? :D Looked like a sweet bow!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26:42 am »
I dont' shy away from thin ringed osage.  The important part in my experience, is the ratio or relationship between the early "spring growth" and the summer growth rings.  The corky, spring growth rings are pretty much junk wood.  If your spring growth rings are thicker than your summer growth (denser) rings, you are generally limited to a low poundage bow and susceptable to breakage.  If your summer growth rings are thin and your spring growth rings are half that thickness, you will end up with a very stable bow.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:59:05 am »
ive made a couple 6 piece takedowns as well

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:10 am »
Josh it was last winter I think. I'll try to find it.  Shere Khan (or Shere Kahn) was the name of the bow and probably the thread. Late night, slightly impaired and an inch over drawn.  :-[
  Ken we just need to figure out how to put them back together.  ;D
 This bow not only had thin rings but quite a few knots and pins. It was going to be my hunting bow  this past year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC