Author Topic: Mystery wood/Elm  (Read 4487 times)

Offline DRon knife

Mystery wood/Elm
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »
HOWDYYYY!!
 I was wondering what ya'll thought about this here wood? I had posted some pics a wile back of a log that some folks thought was Elm. Well I had some time yesterday so I split it. I have heard the Elm was another of those tuff woods to split but this split easy,so it had me wondering if it is Elm? I also debarked it and found the surface to have undulations like Iron wood(gonna make some pretty bows)!  Have a stab at it if you please,I don't want to have to sign the bow "mystery wood"...lol!!    Thanks for any input,Ron

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:45:04 pm by DRon knife »

Offline cracker

Re: Mystery wood/Elm
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:52:27 pm »
I'm going to say hickory on that one. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:54:02 pm »
I would say you got some splitting to do and some stave to season. Good Job.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
cracker,in one of the pics there is a length of hickory,the two close-ups are of the mystery log.

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:13:35 pm »
looks like hickory to me.either way it looks like you got some decent wood.good luck to you,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:07:56 am »
Hickory has hart/sap wood this dose not appear to ???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:15 am »
since its unknown, ill properly dispose of it, i don't want anyone else to have to ::) ;)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Lone500

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 04:29:04 am »
seems pretty large to haul of in one peice... ill come help split it and help haul it off  ;D
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:04:38 am »
I don't know aout that species but the pignut around here is milky whited all the way through. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:16:08 am »
The bark looks like pecan to me.  Pecan usually has a tiny core of dark heartwood, but not always.  Make a bow out of it and see what it does. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:56 pm »
Thanx for the input,so are you saying this is hickory?  I've been wrong before,but I still don't believe its hickory,but here's some more facts...the wood split cleanly,there were no little strands of intertwining wood that usually have be cut to separate the billets as with hickory,the wood is light weight,compared to the other 4 types of hickory I have dealt with(pignut,shell and shagbark and bitternut ),all were very heavy even when dry,these billets are 5" broad 5" deep and 7' long and they weigh 1/2 what a stave of hickory weigh's!! Lastly,when burned it doesn't smell like hickory. I will agree on one point,the bark does resemble sand hickory,but it doesn't grow this far north(mass)..just sayn' :) Ron
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:47:35 pm by DRon knife »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 07:39:28 pm »
Did you find any leaves? Are you sure it is a hardwood?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »
The bark does look a bit baffling. I'm not used to seeing more than two kinds of hickory up here though.
 Keep in mind Hickory will crossbreed where its ranges are shared or overlap so you can end up with specimens that can't be definitively placed as one type.
 When you get a family of trees where one has some of the smoothest bark and others the roughest I would think anything is possible.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 08:16:02 pm »
No Bevan,I was going to find some other evidence,leaves,buds,seeds ect... when I get a chance. I'm not sure if its hard wood or not :-\  I am hopeful that its Elm,When I read about Elm it said cordage could be made from the cambium,so I tried and it makes EXCELLENT cordage,just two strands with a Flemish twist was nearly unbreakable!! I was hoping that the wavy top wood would be a big clue to its genus..Its very distinct!

Good point Pat,I was unaware of cross breeding(big surprise huh..lol) !!  Someone from PA has to be an Elm ringer,I think Pappy and a couple other heavy hitters from PA were fairly sure it was Elm(as sure as u can be from a photo any way)...I will Get more evidence! I have found shell and shagbark ,pignut and the elusive bitternut all in my back 40...well 150 but who's counting!Thanks,Ron
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:19:44 pm by DRon knife »

Offline Lone500

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »
half as light as hickory... i suppose it could be elm with that bark. dont know what else it could be then.
Leon      Saluda, NC