Author Topic: Carp skin backing interest, making a list..(Pics for madcrow added)  (Read 29934 times)

TurtleCreek

Notice the bugged out eyes on the bottom one in the pic...  both eyes were sticking out a good half inch when I caught him, never caught one like that before.  Now I gotta get to building my specialized carp skin processing table- "The Carp Master" :)

Offline JW_Halverson

Notice the bugged out eyes on the bottom one in the pic...  both eyes were sticking out a good half inch when I caught him, never caught one like that before.  Now I gotta get to building my specialized carp skin processing table- "The Carp Master" :)

It's called "exopthalmia", bacterial infection causes swelling and bug-eyes.  If untreated it can become permanent and/or cause blindness.  Apparently in his case led to death!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HickoryBill

Actually Keenan Turtlecreek is changing the back of archery... ;D ;D
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

TurtleCreek

And I like to think I am cleanin' up the river at the same time:)....  Gotta get another reel spooled up and I will be hittin' the river for Mullet and Mad crow's batch..  I am havin' way to much fun doing this!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Cool stuff here!! What are you using for bait?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

TurtleCreek

Mostly night crawlers....  But when they are stacked in the shallows, I will use a brightly colored dough bait and I will sight fish em'.  Funny thing happened last week, I got out at sunrise to catch a few for the guys on here and the carp were not up in the shallows yet.  So I switched to a jig and twister and figured I would try for some walleyes until the sun got a little higher to warm up the shallows and bring the carp in.  First cast with the jig into the deeper current and I got a hit!! Fought the fish for awhile thinking I had a monster walleye on, and it turned out to be a carp....  totally engulfed the jig.  I don't usually catch carp on soft plastics so I was totally surprised by that one.  Next cast, same thing.  So those two finished off Soy and Stingray45's batch.  Found a new spot where the carp are running a little larger and in higher numbers, so I am expecting this list to go pretty smoothly and the action to pick up considerably.  I fish on my days off so I can spend my entire day out on the river and when the temps start to consistantly be in the mid 40s and higher, I will be fishing before work, after work, and on my days off until everyone gets their skins.

TurtleCreek

Hey guys,  I also plan to start saving the air bladders from the carp I catch to dry them out for making fish glue.  I have someone that is going to test them out to see if they make a good glue and I plan on posting the results.  Just another addition to the
"2012 Carp Quest."

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Ah TC!
A Man after my own heart!

Can't wait till my boys are old enough to take fishing with me.
It will be a joy to get some consistency back into my fishing schedule!

Hope you catch a Bunch!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
One of the guys I work with lives on a Lake they have introduced stearil carp for grass control. Welllll,, he told me their are some almost 3' long. He said he is feeding them bread and we are going to give it a shot with dough balls. Carp will be a first for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

3 footers  :o :o Go get em Eddie

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Carp skin backing interest, making a list of those that would like some.
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:36 am »
I put some of those sterile grass carp in my pond in Nebraska and before we left those puppies looked like submarines.  And, no weeds could grow in the pond either. :(  When the cottonwood seeds were falling on the water I was able to kill a couple with the rifle off the deck.  Too bad I didn't realize you could back a bow with them back then.  I have a picture of one of them that went 35lbs.

George
St Paul, TX

TurtleCreek

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2012, 05:10:24 am »
  Mullet- the original white wonder bread is one of the types of "dough" baits I use, the small bait-holder treble hooks(with the little spring on the main shank) work great. I wet the bread slightly then squeeze it onto the hook.  A size 10 bait holder treble should be about the right size for a carp that big.  It's the release of the starch into the water as the bait sits there that brings them in.  I have even heard of some guys taking a potato sack and filling it with boiled potatoes that have been cut up- they tie it to a rope with a weight in it and then toss it out into the water as a sort of "chum bag" and then cast their baited poles into the general area of the bag.  Good ol' corn is a good bait too, especially when sight fishing.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 08:04:36 am »
Headin' out within an hour or two.  Just spooled up, packaged some skins, and I will be out to get some "pucker mouth trout" for Mullet and Mad Crow.

Offline Brother Dan

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:44 pm »
Is it too late to get on the list, I appreciate it.  B Dan
Cleves, Ohio

TurtleCreek

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »
I will put you down BD for when I get more