Author Topic: Carp skin backing interest, making a list..(Pics for madcrow added)  (Read 29932 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Carp skin backing interest, making a list of those that would like some.
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 10:13:13 pm »
There sure are gonna be alot a carp backed bows here in a little bit...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

TurtleCreek

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2012, 03:05:30 am »
I sure hope so.......  It will be exciting to see what everyone comes up with.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 09:01:57 am »
  So everyone knows how the progress is going, I will be updating the status of each guy on the list(page 4 of this post).  So far it has taken 3 fish to get the length to back a 72 inch bow, and that's going by a 2 inch wide strip.  Either way, each guy will be getting at least that length and possibly more depending on the size of the fish in your batch.  Sometimes I will get a fish that has one side damaged and the other side will be good, if that's the case when your turn comes up, that one good side will be thrown in as an extra in addition to your batch.  If you happen to have an extra skin in your batch, it would be really interesting to see someone try a strunk style wrap over the carp skin as a "grip".  Once you get your skins, any input, opinions, and constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Thanks guys- Ryan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:10 am »
I've seen some wonderful bows with the snake skins covering only half the limb.  Adjust my request to a half order of skins, this would be the perfect opportunity to try one!  Thanks ahead of time, TurtleCreek.  I gotta find something nice to send you in exchange.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2012, 03:00:49 am »
You got it JW....  Sometimes, like just the last time I was on the river, I will catch the odd ball carp with a severe kink in it's spine.  I set those aside because the scale pattern isn't straight enough to get a good pattern in a straight strip.   I will also sometimes catch common carp in which the color doesn't match the rest, such as when I was working on Soy's batch, one carp's color didn't match the other two very well so I set that one aside also.  I will only send batches which match in color and that will provide a good scale pattern.  Like snake skin, the color/pattern can be manipulated somewhat by the color/stain of the wood beneath it because the skins are slightly transparent when dry.  I plan on posting the odd ball skins for trade with pics when the list is done in case someone has plans for them other than backing a bow.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2012, 11:41:16 am »
Ryan, I bet some of those odds ball skins would look great on a knife sheath...maybe with some beadwork around the edges, hmmm  LOL

You are a Saint for helping us out with all these skins...using your own free time, etc (imagine they are more work than some of us realize)

Anyway, you rock my brother!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

TurtleCreek

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »
  Thanks for the kind words Lee.  This has been the biggest "project" I have taken on, but I am having a lot of fun doing it.  Hopefully I will be able to put together an article good enough for the magazine so everyone can see how I prep em'.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2012, 05:21:57 pm »
Knife sheath?  Hmmm, yes, I am seeing it.  Or an inset stitched into the flap of a muzzelloader bag.  Yeah, I can think of several ways to use this stuff. 

Sew together lotsa strips and make a copy of Kevin Cost-more's outfit in Waterworld.  Ok, I recognize I went too far.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2012, 05:26:13 pm »
LOL, don't feel bad JW...we all regret sitting through any of that movie  :o
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:32 pm »
LOL, don't feel bad JW...we all regret sitting through any of that movie  :o

I didn't watch this movie.  Does that mean I actually did something smart?    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:13 pm »
You are definitely smarter than me Ron!  LOL
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

TurtleCreek

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »
Mr. Slikkers, the carp are swimming your way!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
Most excellent!  I'll let ya know when the hit the headwaters  ;)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

TurtleCreek

« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 03:45:06 pm »
  Rained a lot last night and it's suppose be be warming up a bit, just the right conditions to bring the carp in a little closer for my 3 days on the river starting tomorrow.  I will be finishing up Soy's batch and then on to Stingray45(#4).

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »
The Carp (skins) have landed my friend!  All I can say is THANK YOU!!!  You folks will not believe to quality of the prep on this skins...I can only imagine how much effort that must take...especially on such a large scale when you take into account all the folk's on the List.  Cheers my friend!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold