Author Topic: Carp skin backing interest, making a list..(Pics for madcrow added)  (Read 29933 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Carp skin backing interest, making a list of those that would like some.
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »
Cool, thought you forgot about me. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

TurtleCreek

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:12 am »
bcbull and Lee Slikkers, your fish have been caught and they are currently being dried/prepped- to ensure they are properly dried( the way I like to do it), they will ship by friday....  On to #3 Soy!!!!!!!!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 01:38:44 pm »
Just wanted to make sure I'm on the list somewhere.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:21 pm »
Cheers my friend!  Responded to your PM...again, many thanks~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TurtleCreek

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 03:00:19 pm »
  Yes you are Barry.  Working on getting Soy's batch and you're right after him and Mullet is right after you.  I will be out on the river tomorrow and thursday.  I will keep everyone posted on my luck. Here's what the list looks like so far:
1:bcbull-shipped!!!!!!
2:Lee Slikkers- shipped!!!!!
3:Soy- shipped!!!!
4:Stingray45- shipped!!!!
5:Mullet- shipped!!!!
6:Mad Crow- shipped!!!!
7:Osage Outlaw-  shipped!!!!
8:JW Halverson(half batch of matched sides)- working on getting this batch
9:thomas H
10:Gus
11:M-P
12:Ho-bow
13:Venison Burger
14:Stiks-n-strings
15:Sadie Jane
16:Sharpend60
17:John K
18:HickoryBill
19:gstoneberg
20:Pat B
21:Prairie Bowyer
22:jtbluefeather
23:dinorocks
24:Stringstretcher
25:David Dougherty
26:Toomanyknots
27. Brother Dan
28. Beadman
NO MORE NAMES TAKEN AT THIS TIME: ADDITIONAL SKINS WILL BE POSTED AFTER THIS LIST IS COMPLETE.  I WILL ALSO BE TANNING SOME AND THEY WILL BE OFFERED FOR TRADE AS WELL.  THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:35:29 am by TurtleCreek »

TurtleCreek

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 03:02:32 pm »
  Don't get discouraged if you are later on the list, my catch numbers should increase as the season progresses and the weather warms up some here.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 03:24:05 pm »
  Being that most of the fish that I am catching right now are the same size as the ones Keenan used on his carp/sinew backed juniper in which he spliced the carp skin strips, I thought it would be helpful to the guys that will be getting some to know how he did it.  This is the info he sent:

Ryan, I just did a butt splice because the bow was sinewed as well.  I trimmed one end very straight then matched up the pattern where it matched best with the other skin and trimmed the other one to length. As you know the pattern can be smaller or larger depending on the end used.  When applied to the bow I overlapped about 1/32 to allow for any shrinkage.  I had also sanded them down on the belt sander to get them a little thinner because of already having sinew on the bow. This also makes them more pliable for fitting. One of the biggest helps is making sure to soak the skins long enough that they are pliable.
 Originally I thought I might have to do a thread wrap at the joint but it turned out well and no one ever notices until I point out the splice.- Keenan

I hope this helps guys- Ryan

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »
Thanks for the info.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jtbluefeather

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »
Hey Turtle,
Have you ever done a how to on prepping fish skins? And a general question from a non-angler... Does the type of fish matter for how you prep the skins?

Thanks
JT

Offline Keenan

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:11 am »
JT The process on prep is similar and I don't have experience with the carp but I do know there are some definite tricks to sturgeon that are different then other fish skins. The drying is similar but the fleshing can be tricky on sturgeon.
 Ryan and I are talking about putting together a tandem article on fish skin preparing and applying to bows

TurtleCreek

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 05:32:58 am »
  JT, I plan on beginning something like that this week- along with the help of Keenan so everyone can see the process from start to finish.  I have some northern pike skins that I am going to experiment on, and right from the get go, I can tell ya that the biggest difference in prep between pike and carp will be the descaling process- so I will let ya know how that goes.  I would also guess that if someone were to try salmon, which would have a higher oil content in the skin,  it would take a little more to prep those to get the oils out.  One thing that I like to do when drying the skins, is that I use cardboard to dry them on- I don't tack them down on wood.  The fresh skin will stick to the cardboard and there won't be any need to tack it down in any way.  The bonus with the cardboard that I have found is that while the skin dries on it, the cardboard will help draw out oils in the skin.  And as the skin dries on it, the skin will shrink slightly- pulling the cardboard into a "reflex" much like a sinew backing does on a bow.  When you see this reflex in the cardboard, it's an indicator that the skins are dry enough to peel off.  The carp skins are some pretty tough stuff and they will not tear when peeling them off, they come off fairly easily.  Although sometimes a little of the cardboard "fuzz" will come off with the skin, it can easily be taken off with some fine grit sand paper without doing any damage to the skin.  This is just a brief answer, the info for the article will be more precise and will include pics to show exactly what I do.  I am looking forward to putting this together with Keenan, I think everyone that has had an interest with carp skin as a backing will enjoy it.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2012, 11:28:53 am »
this is exciting.
look forward to the tutorial(s)
used the cardboard method turtlecreek mentioned with some salmon skins
they dried nicely and the cardboard absorbed most of the oil

if all goes as planned the carps skin may end up on my trade bow

thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:29 pm »
well I see I'm way down the list but yes Carp backing would be cool!  If you dont have enough to go around its fine maybe next year.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

TurtleCreek

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »
Got ya down David....  Shouldn't be a problem getting this many carp for everyone.  Kinda slow this time of year but I have been doing fairly well.  With the warmer weather just around the corner here, things should pick up considerably.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 01:49:57 pm »
Part way through Soy's batch(#3)