Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 453690 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #765 on: March 16, 2012, 02:09:49 am »
Knapper great bend there...  I like the way the benders shoot :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #766 on: March 16, 2012, 05:24:46 am »
Gonna do some work on my hickory stick this weekend. Do I need to use dry heat or steam on hickory? I can't decide whether to go with a gentle flip or more curve in the tips. I am going to try trapping the back a little to help even out the work load from the back and belly. Every bow I build turns out a little better than the last and I really want to do something sweet with this piece so we'll see what I come up with.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #767 on: March 16, 2012, 07:58:45 am »
You can use either, just don't rush it with dry heat or you can raise splinters on the belly side.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #768 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:59 am »
I prefer dry heat over steam on any dry wood Kris. The more I use my heat gun the more dust settles on my steam rig.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #769 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:32 am »
If going for a gentle flip id use dry heat,if going for more of a recurve id boil hickory,and then let sit over the form for at least 24 hours.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #770 on: March 16, 2012, 12:15:11 pm »
Here's how my yew long bow is coming along. She's been a real challenge for me with all her character but I think it's bending nicely. I put some reflex into the tip which is mostly staying put so far. I've tried to correct some natural deflex in the inner left limb several times but I think it just wants to be part of the bow. Here she is being pulled at 23" at the target weight. and another picture at brace.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #771 on: March 16, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »
being from the midwest, I dream of a kinky yew like that

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #772 on: March 16, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »
That Yew is looking Good Weylin!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #773 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:42 am »
That yew is looking good  ;)  That is a tough piece and you look like your wining....  tons of character there and a tough stave to tiller!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #774 on: March 17, 2012, 12:18:05 am »
    Weylin, that stave looks like a nightmare to tiller, at least for me. On the other hand, if you pull it off, it sure will be a bow I'd be really proud to own.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #775 on: March 17, 2012, 03:38:59 am »
i am not in the trade BUT i went thru the pages and this for GUS....HOLY CRAP...that is a great piece of yew...where did i come from...i had a tree like that 62 rings and that was really good...keenan told me most guys would give there right  ;D for that....i cant wait to see what you get...just dont blow thru your weight...john

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #776 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:00 am »
Wow :o there is an explosion of great bows out already!  That brings a question to my mind...can you enter the bow you made for the trade into the bom contest??maby it has happend already but i have so busy working on stuff i have not been on here as much as i shuld.great job folks  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #777 on: March 17, 2012, 10:31:53 am »
My swapper hit the road friday. If the USPS holds up their end somebody should have a new bow on Monday. I spent the $$ and went Priority with tracking.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #778 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:17 am »
  That brings a question to my mind...can you enter the bow you made for the trade into the bom contest??maby it has happend already but i have so busy working on stuff i have not been on here as much as i shuld.great job folks  ;)

Most certainly you can ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: March 17, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »
Kris, I think you will have better success bending the hickory with steam over dry heat. Hickory will bend well with dry heat but has a tendancy to pull back out with use. IMO.   If you do decide to use steam(or boiling) be sure to seal the area(all around the limb) with shellac to prevent moisture from getting into the wood.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:54:32 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC