Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 453206 times)

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:27 am »
I agree but when I put the rawhide on it I made a rookie mistake and put a little too much glue in one area and it caused some ripples, they arent horrible but they arent pretty ill post some pics and see what you all think.

Josh

What kind of glue did you use? If it was a regualr Titebond II type glue there is a veneer trick we used to do that may work on flattening the rawhide. You want to try it on scrap first to get your parameters set.

take a regular old clothes iron and set it to medium and gradually, gently iron the area. The glue will soften and you can burnish it down with a block of smooth wood. Be quick, because when it cools, the glue sets again.

We often would apply veneer by gluing both surfaces, letting the glue dry, then laying the veneer in place and ironing it to re-activate the glue.

Never tried it with rawhide, but I bet if the temp is moderate you shoudl be ok.  NO STEAM, just dry heat.

Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #586 on: February 28, 2012, 12:49:53 am »
Thankjs foot it was regular Elmers carpenters glue

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #587 on: February 28, 2012, 12:53:18 am »
I use a wrinkled up plastic bag dipped in stain and dapped on the bow....
Last years trade bow I made...

"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #588 on: February 28, 2012, 12:57:59 am »
Hickory bill have you done this allot? That is the look im going for thanks I may try that or I may do snake over the rawhide or sturgen or now I may have to just suprise you all not sure ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #589 on: February 28, 2012, 01:04:24 am »
Cool looking rawhide job. I bet you could take some thick string or yarn and dip it in stain and lay down a cool stain job on some rawhide. Or even use a sponge like the bag trick to get a neat effect.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #590 on: February 28, 2012, 01:07:37 am »
Elktracker...Yes I use the bag staining trick alot...Especially on bows with ace bandage makes in the rawhide...Covers it up real well. Along with hunting bows with a light colored back...Good camo!!
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: February 28, 2012, 01:08:33 am »
A raw sponge dipped it the stain, blotted dry(not dripping wet) and blotted on the rawhide will give a cool effect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #592 on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:38 am »
That look very nice HickoryBill !!

Gnarly  >:D
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #593 on: February 28, 2012, 01:21:05 am »
Thanks guys... This years bow will be slightly different >:D >:D
Bill Stockdill

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #594 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:16 pm »
guys i havent been on much but i thought i would show my stave for the trade ( if it works out) this is the most snakey piece of crepe myrtle ive found . right now its 1 1/2 wide full length and 3/4 thick. going with a narrow tips bend thru bow with stain and skins. maybe a lil heat treating and flipped tips

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #595 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »
Fun looking stick Ken!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #596 on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:47 pm »
Great choice in staves Ken!

Josh

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #597 on: February 29, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »
I love that you got a picture of the fly on you hand TWICE.  Either that, or you've got an odd tatoo!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #598 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:49 pm »
That's cause it's 60-fricken-degrees here in MI this afternoon!  Unreal weather for Feb (or even March) really...
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »
That should be interesting Ken. Looking forward to your progress.
  I've got my bow packaged up, labled and ready to go to the PO tomorrow. It may even be at the new owners home by Saturday but Monday for sure.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC