Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 465844 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #315 on: February 12, 2012, 09:35:49 pm »
By the way Matt, I have those very same work boots!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #316 on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »
Firstly i want to say, great work everyone!  Im so thankful to be in on this trade :)

I didnt know whether to post this here or in a new topic or in gordons new build-a-long.  My sinew backed yew recurve i posted earlier in this thread is taking about an inch of set at the base of the curve, the tips are still 2 inches or so ahead of the handle right after unstringing.  The limbs creep back to about 1/2 inch after a couple minsIt only has 1 layer of sinew + a crowning strip down the middle.  Can I or should I add another layer of sinew, possibly very lightly reverse brace it?  Or should i just consider the inch of set a bonus to stability?

This is my first full weight bow/sinew job, as well as my first successful recurve bow and I am super happy with it how it is.  but it is my trade bow and want it to be better if it can be.  :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #317 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03:31 pm »
I dont have allot of expeiance with sinew backing but I dont think an inch of set is bad in my eyes.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #318 on: February 12, 2012, 11:15:45 pm »
I can't say I've tried to use sinew to take out set.  I agree with Josh, an inch of set is no big deal to me, and in a recurve isn't that uncommon.  Mine usually have a little set.

I did 2 sideways bends on my trade bow today.  Both were hard bends and took a ton of heat.  Still don't have it quite straight.  Gonna need to bend it in the handle to get it to line up.  It needs untwisted on both limbs still and I'll do that next before I shape the handle and bend it there. 

Posting all of our builds in the same thread is most interesting.  Hard to keep track where each bow was last time.  I might go ahead and start a thread of my own, but haven't decided yet.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
George you still amaze me that you can take such a ugly stick and make it look so beautiful! I remember last years bow you made and when I first saw that stave I was like that thing aint gonna make a bow! :o But I was reminded of my inexperiance when I saw what you made from that ugly old stave! Nice progress so far!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #320 on: February 13, 2012, 12:14:55 am »
Thanks Josh, believe me if I had straighter wood I'd use it.  OK, I have to confess that's not entirely true, I give or trade away my straightest stuff.  When I help somebody I let them pick their stave.  New people need straight wood more than I do so I use what's left.  I do get a real good feeling when a crooked piece of wood straightens up. :)

I don't think you're inexperienced at all my friend.  We're all learning, especially me. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #321 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:29 am »
Well my ugly osage stave looks a little better now. A lot of steam treatments and I got it close to what I want. I want to leave this bow backed with nothing but air but after what I had to do to get the propeller out it might be wise to throw some rawhide on it. I want xxxxxxxxxxx to have a shooter not firewood! It is a good thing I am not planning on backing with sinew, my dog raided the stash!!!!

Offline Gaur

« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2012, 10:19:51 am »
Footfootfoot.  This is primitive archer people here like them gnarly.  Just peel the bark of that HHB and leave it as primitive as you can. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:42 am »
Paulsemp:  LOL, Mine too.  I think the only reason Sassy hangs around my shop is for the sinew scraps that end up on the floor. 

Drums:  Gotta love Crocs.

Did a bit more yesterday.  Got *******'s bow to brace height.  Had to lighten her up a bit.  Managed to do so without stressing her and loosing the nice reflex.  Had a coupla humpy bumps and a knot to contend with.  Turned the tips a bit.  Applied sinew layer #1 on it.  I'll put her up for the night to dry.  Wrapped up the evening with movie time with the little woman and the boy.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:12 pm »
dang thats looking sexy matt...someones gonna be happy with that ;)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2012, 12:18:10 pm »
Now that's progress..

Those are pretty good knots in those limbs Pat!!

looks like a different stick George :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »
Nice work guys!

It seems flipped tips is a recurrent theme nowadays... Here's my work so far: 64'' x 1 3/8'', serviceberry, flipped tips, heat treated belly. That thing is thin but it still feels like an 80 pounds bow. Still need to do a bit of tip alignment, not much though. That serviceberry is one tough wood. Also had time to rough up another primo stave of the same species, just in case, you know?

This trade is coming along nicely. Congrats everyone and a very sincere thank you to the organizers, without whom all this would not have been possible.
Quebec, Canada

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #327 on: February 13, 2012, 01:53:30 pm »
Good Lookin' Wood Y'all! 

Love the Dogs.
My girls are always stealing the splits and shavings to chew on...
Or laying in the shavings pile under foot.

Got the Dogwood skinned and the layout just about done.
Have two knots that look like they will be pass throughs in the working limb on each side of the handle.
So Figured I'd center the handle between them and have a knot about 4-5 inches out from each fade.
Should be interesting.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #328 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »
 Nice looking dogwood there Gus. My favorite hunting bow the last four years was from flowering dogwood, but alas the bottom limb shatered on me last novembeer while at full draw.                 

Im thinking about putting buffalo horn tip overlays on the osage bow im working on for this trade and was wondering whats the best glue to use on it.
Steve Bennett

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #329 on: February 13, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »
That is one nice piece of wood Gus, I'm still looking for an acceptable dogwood stave in my neck of the woods. Haven't found it yet. I'd love to try it, seems pretty tough.

Quebec, Canada