Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 453883 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »
Nice bow Hunter hope you left enough tail on that hoarse to fend off the pests  :laugh:

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:26 pm »
How does this sound for a recipe:

1) 62" red elm stave
5) whitetail back sinews
2) 36" rawhide strips
2) Bighorn sheep horn overlays
1) sack o' hide glue
1) bottle of TBIII

I think it sounds deelish myself! I got a few ideas floating around in my pea brain. Recurve...perhaps? Flipped tip shorty/bendy....perhaps? Super short and wide Modoc style....perhaps? Sooo many cool dishes can be made with these ingredients, its hard to decide! I just wish ****** would tell me what they want and make it easy on me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »
A bow out already? I knew everyone was anxious...but man... That's a nice one, too. I guess I gotta get off the fence and decide which way to go and get to whittlin....
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »
 :-\

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »
Horse tail   ;D  It looked like a turkey beard to me.  I'm going to blame it on just waking up from a 4 hour sleep after being awake for 27 hours.  That sounds like a good excuse.  I am going to try to shoot it tomorrow and get a full draw picture.  I'm glad I got the bow early.  Now I don't have to run to the door every time I hear the mail woman pull up. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline John K

« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
Great lookin bow Wildcat hunter !

The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline coaster500

« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:46 pm »
1) 62" red elm stave
5) whitetail back sinews
2) 36" rawhide strips
2) Bighorn sheep horn overlays
1) sack o' hide glue
1) bottle of TBIII

I just hope it's for me :)

Worked on my TG trade today and am thinking about using my first attempt as Osage as my PA trade...  I finished tillering and got the tips cleaned up. It's my first with a more bulbous handle and it is a sweet shooter. It's ready to finish and get dressed up. I'm not sure yet but it's within my Members specs?

Bulbous handle..

Tip

Rested after about 200 arrows ...  This is going to be a tough one to ship. I really like the little bugger :)

Braced...

This is the stave I posted a while back and it does have a couple of checks or cracks in the back that I crazy glued so I may back it for looks but I'm not sure yet. The bow is rock solid the way it is.

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07:18 pm »
:-\
Show off,,,,,,,,,,, ;)  nice bow!  hope mine turns out that nice!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:04 pm »
so.... what are those specs?
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »
I am looking forward to next years trade more than anything, hopefully by then I will have more experience and will have made a few for myself ;) :D
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »
Wow, nice bows guys. Already some shippers!

I'm working on mine slowly, it's a serviceberry stave, 64'' by 1 3/8''. As far as serviceberry goes it's pretty straight. Did a few sessions of steam bending and debending and straightening. Now the string is tracking real nice, got it close to floor tiller. Super nice finish on that wood when a sharp tool cuts through it but grain is pretty twisted, gotta change the direction of the cut every foot or so.

Keep up the good work!
Matt
Quebec, Canada

Offline coaster500

« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:33 am »
I thought it was a turkey beard to!!

Great job Hunter !!!

If you're asking about mine..... it's some where between 25/80@22/31 :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Gaur

« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2012, 02:48:15 am »
some black palm I am playing around with for backings.  These are actually the frons that get trimmed off in the plantations.  Thai people make fishing poles out of them so they are very resilient.

after going through the band saw and then grinder to get the thickness down
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Gaur

« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:49 am »

some have a cool two tone to them.  They have a nice skin on them that I am going to try to leave intact.

I am going to butt two pieces in the riser area and back it with thai redwood for a long even tiller bow.  I've done this with bamboo and the joint seems fine as long as it a stiff handle riser.  By itself this palm doesn't make a real fast shooter.  The only other guy in Thailand I know how makes bows makes self bows out of it and they shoot rather slow (he does recurves and longbows so it takes heat well for bending).  I think as a backing with another wood it might be a real nice bow.

a nice bend and snappy too!
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2012, 04:09:54 am »
That is somthing else Gaur, keep them pics comeing.can't wait to see that project take shape :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...