Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 454063 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »
I hope i have no surprises inside! It is the only stave I have long enough for my recipients draw. Everything else I have is less than 60". Otherwise it will turn into the board bow swap!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »
Here are a few pics of my HHB stave. 64"t/t    I will do some heat straightening to give both limbs equal reflex and to remove or at least lessen the twist in one limb. One limb has a bulge in it, probablt bug or physical damage that has grown over. That area might be a little tricky but definately doable.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »
board bow swap!!!

I think that would be really cool! ;D ;D Great staves guys, wish I had time to join in....

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »
still thinking on what to build, either birch backed or maple backed black walnut, decision's, decision's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »
Ive got a question, i acquired a yew stave last month and floortillered, sinewed and put away.  Then i signed up for this trade, is it ok to use this for the trade or does it havta be from scratch?? I am about to brace it so the actual tillering work is still to come.
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline John K

« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2012, 10:45:14 pm »
Ive got a question, i acquired a yew stave last month and floortillered, sinewed and put away.  Then i signed up for this trade, is it ok to use this for the trade or does it havta be from scratch?? I am about to brace it so the actual tillering work is still to come.
I dont see a problem
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:42 pm »
ONLY if it is getting shipped to my house  >:D  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #187 on: February 07, 2012, 11:01:52 pm »

That is fine. I think many of us  have staves in different stages and looked to those when we got our names.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22:41 am »
alrighty! i convinced my wife to let do some tillering! i was excited when i was "allowed" :P  to use my yew stave.  So here it is, tillered but no finishing of any kind.

55 at 25 right now, pictured at 24 so as not to overstrain it :) 51" ntn it has taken about 1.5 of actual set but is nearly dead flat to the base of the curves, maybe 1/2 of set. i relexed it about an inch and the sinw added a bit.  it is just over 1.5 wide for most the length. now that i know the string alignment is ok, not perfect, i can narrow the outer limbs a bit :) tomorrow :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2012, 01:29:00 am »
sweet looking stick sir.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54:49 am »
That is a nice looking yew recurve!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2012, 03:15:48 am »
Nice looking bow there, the way I see it is as long as were not grabbing an old bow we dont shoot or want anymore to trade off for a new one its all good 0.02

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2012, 03:58:23 am »
just took the first few shots with *******'s yew recurve, wow these things are snappy! im super impressed, after i reduce the tip mass a bit it will be even better :D

sinew +  yew  =  very flexible :D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2012, 04:24:09 am »
Well here is my pick for a stave, its Cascara, Buckthorn or chittum whatever you wanna call it  :D I plan on rawhide backing it with goat skin

This is looking at the back of the bow

After I got it debarked

and after I got the limbs tapered, I left the limb tips heavy as im not sure if I want to narrow them way down or not yet :-\ I wanted to attemp what blackhawk does with his but not sure I should experiment on this one :)

Sorry about the crappy pics my phone is all I got for now

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

blackhawk

« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:49 am »
Go for it josh  :D ...how long is it?

Looking good guys

Id take the yew recurve in a heartbeat...hmmm? You say 25" eh  ::)...that's right up my alley