Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 453729 times)

Offline RobWiden

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »
I had to get myself sliced & diced, got home on Friday. Still a little sore and don't feel like doing much but I got my name while i was in hospital so I expect I'll find myself out in the shop today. By the way, the name I drew is kind of intimidating. Sure hope I can do something that won't embarass me.    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline gmc

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2012, 12:59:22 pm »
Com'on guys, you're falling behind.  >:D

I need about 8 more inches of draw with a little more wood removal and shaping, but so far, so good. 

I do believe this piece of wood wants to be a bow.  ;)

That isn't some of that persimmon is it?   >:D

As much as I want to say yes here, just to offer some motivation for a good friend building one similar, the answer is no. But very similar to a stave that the same friend has been hording up for a rainy day.  I did actually think about it but just couldn't get the mojo working, or should I say guts to pull one out of the stave rack. :)

Its white hickory.
Central Kentucky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »
Rob, intimidation is not accectable! Make the best bow you can and it will be appreciated by the reciever. I promise!  8)
  I think I've picked out a stave. HHB from Twin Oaks last year...but there is also an osage, a maple, an ERC or black walnut or..... :-\ Heck, I'm right where I was the other day.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »
  I think I've picked out a stave. HHB from Twin Oaks last year...but there is also an osage, a maple, an ERC or black walnut or..... :-\ Heck, I'm right where I was the other day.  :o

I have a solution for you Pat, just make them all, (27" at 40-50#) and I will send you some name to send them too.
 >:D >:D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2012, 01:56:52 pm »
Rob I'm right there with you brother but some ideas are startin to cook... 

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »
i know some of yall are new but last year this trade started with a discussion about the new bowyers and how even though they felt bad about showing there bows , the rest of us could see great things from them . so keep in mind the spirit is in the giving and enjoying the work of one of your brothers of the bow no matter what level they are currently at. besides most of us are are new , myself included only at this two years now.  so make shavings and sawdust and dont sweat the end product !!

and if anyone pulls out a helmet im coming to visit them !
ken

Offline John K

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »
Got started on my bow today. It's going to be made out of the sap wood from a Black Walnut.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline John K

« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »
Coming along, thats all for today, hope to get some work done on it next Sunday !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »
Figured I'd get a start on my Trade Bow this morning...thought I'd try a new wood and see how things would progress.  This was a Sassafrass stave that measure 58"  I got it roughed out and was starting to thin the thickness when I ran into this niffy surprise...don't suppose I can salvage her give she's not "yeller" an all...dang it!

Off to go scrounge through my dwindling supply of staves to see what else I can come up with now.   :-\
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
cannot get a moment away to start my bow. any ideas on how to go 'underground"? lol
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2012, 08:10:04 pm »
I heated out a bunch of deflex out of one limb today.

Before

After

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2012, 08:18:29 pm »
I like your angle form Clint. I bet that helps to hold in the heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2012, 09:05:01 pm »
Holy Shiite Muslim Cleric, Osage Outlaw!  I can't believe you took that angle out of that limb!  OOOOWEE!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2012, 10:06:32 pm »
I got it roughed out and was starting to thin the thickness when I ran into this niffy surprise...don't suppose I can salvage her give she's not "yeller" an all...dang it!

Don't give up yet. Look up what Del did on that ELB he made. drilled out all the bad stuff with a dremel and filled it in. I think you can fix this and still use it.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
I like your angle form Clint. I bet that helps to hold in the heat.

Thanks Pat.  It's fiberglass so it is not very heavy.  I just slide that aluminum flashing piece where ever I need to heat. 

JW, I was a little nervous, but I think it worked.  It cracked just a little on the belly, but I left it pretty thick so I think it will be fine.  I should be able to rasp it out.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left