Author Topic: Are there any alternatives to horn overlays to fix some REALLY bad string nocks  (Read 6143 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
I want to fix this before I go any further with the bow, I marked the string nocks at 45 degrees and started in with a triangle file, the high crown on the bow threw the file off the marks a little but if figured that it wouldn't make a difference, boy was I wrong. The string nocks are at very different angles and the string won't sit in the middle of the bow. I know that I can use horn overlays to correct the angles but I was wondering if there were any alternatives?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:18:23 pm by Youngboyer »
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline JW_Halverson

How about heat bending to correct the limb to the string?  Or is that too much work for an easier fix?

You can always keep sawing the higher of the two nocks until it moves down the limb to match the other.  Sometimes nocks ain't pretty.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Recut the high string groove. Use a chainsaw file so you get a nice round groove.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

Atleast you cut them into the right side of the bow  :o made that mistake a few times my self.
If you nocks are still pretty wide you can sometimes completely remove the origional nock when fitting overlays.
Pictures would help but i expect a little step back moment will do you more good than any fix ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
You can cut one nock a little further down to even it off. Got photos? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

Make pin nocks, bring the high side down to the low side.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
sorry guys but I wont be able to get any pics up untis friday at the best
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline crooketarrow

If they can't be fixed by any or these ways. Cut them off recut the sides down. If the tips don't been the way there surpose to be you likly won't have to retiller.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

Atleast you cut them into the right side of the bow  :o made that mistake a few times my self.
If you nocks are still pretty wide you can sometimes completely remove the origional nock when fitting overlays.
Pictures would help but i expect a little step back moment will do you more good than any fix ;)

First short bow I ever made was when I cut the nocks in backwards.  I piked 'er down, reshaped the tips, spent a little time correcting the floor tillering, AND CUT 'EM IN BACKWARDS A-FREAKING-GAIN!    >:( >:( >:(

Eventually it was a really nice, fast short bow, but I got rid of it as quick as possible just out of shame and humiliation. 

Offline Lone500

Wow JW that must have been a hair pulling experience. The first time is bad but the second time is 10x worse haha.
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I made a recurve once with one limb tip up and the other down.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lone500

How well did that design work Pat  :laugh:
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Bevan R.

I made a recurve once with one limb tip up and the other down.  ::)

Was that back when you were weighing lost of 'bullets' on that scale? ::)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

Wow JW that must have been a hair pulling experience. The first time is bad but the second time is 10x worse haha.

Heck no, I got a full head of hair.  I learned quite young that it doesn't pay to get upset over your mistakes.  Valuable lesson for someone like me!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Yeah Bevan. Bullets!  ;D  Actually I don't remember!   ::)