Author Topic: Gorilla Glue for Rawhide backing?  (Read 7302 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Gorilla Glue for Rawhide backing?
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:24:12 am »
Has anybody used gorilla glue for applying rawhide backing with good results? I know about tite bond and Hide glue, but no experiance with using hide glue for rawhide, and no access to tite bond at the moment.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gorilla Glue for Rawhide backing?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:41:20 am »
I have not used Gorilla glue but understand it foams up as it cures. I don't think it would be good for rawhide application.   Hide glue is made from rawhide(and other body tissue) so they are very compatable. There is a little more work than TB glue but the results are good.   
  You say you don't have access to TB glues. Any water soluable carpenters glue will work. Elmer's Glueall is a more common glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:54:19 am »
I was just looking at a bottle of Elmers glue all today, but wasnt sure if it would work. I have hide glue ready to go but its moose hide glue and I have deer rawhide, i prefer not to mix the two for personal preference. Eureka! I just had a stroke of genius or just missed the obvious, i can cut out the materials needed for my backing and use the excess to make the glue  ;D

Offline randman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:16:30 am »
Gorilla glue would definitely NOT work for rawhide backing. Even for gluing wood you have to have the pieces clamped tight or the foaming action will blow them apart.
I think you came up with the answer to your own question with the extra bits.
If you don't mind my asking, is there some long held cultural or spiritual reason why you don't want to mix the moose hide glue with the deer rawhide?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:58:42 am »
If you don't mind my asking, is there some long held cultural or spiritual reason why you don't want to mix the moose hide glue with the deer rawhide?

Ya there is a cultural and spiritual reason why I don't want to mix the two and the reason being is that they don't belong together. Two different animals, two different spirits, in it's simplest form. Kinda like a foot long in a hamburger bun, it will work but it aint right if that makes sense.  :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:21:49 am »
you can use the white gorilla glue, doesn't foam up, it's just like tbII, I've used it with no problems, now the other stuff they sell wont work, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:41 am »
I wouldn't use Gorilla glue for anything.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:27:13 pm »
Yikes Ojibway i'm not following the protocol, than again i'm not Ojibway.  I throw all my hide scraps in one big pot, which makes nice glue.  I'm sure yours does too. 

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 01:20:52 pm »
I have not used Gorilla glue but understand it foams up as it cures. I don't think it would be good for rawhide application.   Hide glue is made from rawhide(and other body tissue) so they are very compatable. There is a little more work than TB glue but the results are good.   
  You say you don't have access to TB glues. Any water soluable carpenters glue will work. Elmer's Glueall is a more common glue.

I was going to ask you about this when you were here and suggested that i keep the deer and moose sinew seperate.  Good to know :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »
you can use the white gorilla glue, doesn't foam up, it's just like tbII, I've used it with no problems, now the other stuff they sell wont work, Bub
The white gorilla glue is exactly the same thing as TB3. It will work great and yes I have used it. Do not use the semi transparent brown colored stuff, it foams and leaves air pockets.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:03:28 pm »
Yikes Ojibway i'm not following the protocol, than again i'm not Ojibway.  I throw all my hide scraps in one big pot, which makes nice glue.  I'm sure yours does too.

Yikes too I'm really plain with fire here too. I'm mixin Rabbit skin glue granules from the art supply store with sinew from the doggie chew store (cow , pig ?? i don't know :-\) backin it up with goat rawhide ;)

But seriously I'm totally receptive to ideas like this because they make one contemplate the source of these materials that we urban folk find in a bag or a barrel at the pet store. Kinda like I didn't see the cow my meat came from either. People who hunt and grow their food are much closer connected spiritually to the source of their food and materials. With that connection comes a certain respect for the source. I came from the hunt and grow world so I can relate to that. I feel the same way about the woods I harvest for bows.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:32 pm »
Yikes too I'm really plain with fire here too. I'm mixin Rabbit skin glue granules from the art supply store with sinew from the doggie chew store (cow , pig ?? i don't know :-\) backin it up with goat rawhide ;)

Kind of going for the 'Noah's Ark' thing. That works.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 01:10:37 am »
Is there really a rule about mixing spirits in the native cultures? I figure buckskin and quillwork would really do a number on that. I figure a moose and a deer are both deer of some sort.
 Surely mixing spirits is even more likely when we actually EAT said animal.
 Did the Ojibway even make hide glue?

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 03:21:00 am »
Justin i knew it was eithe rthe same as tbII or 3, just would rather think it was less than more, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 11:55:20 am »
Pat, each culture is different.  I'm sure the Ojibway made glue and never mixed the hides together to make it based on their culture.  I've never heard of this practice among the Lakota, so like I said each culture is different.  Among the Lakota, women are the rightful owners of the tipi and at any moment place the man's belongings outside the tipi signaling "you're outta here bub".