Author Topic: Will this be a major problem?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Tortoise

Will this be a major problem?
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »
Hi everyone. I got a 72"x1 1/2" Osage board from 3rivers to make my first serious attempt at a bow.  I also grabbed some hickory backing strips of the same dimensions. I've got my glue for backing (TBIII) but just don't know where to start, if there are any pre-steps or preparations I need to take. I figured you guys could help me out with this the best, because I don't want to screw it up and put this great wood to waste. I've made a red oak selfbow before, but that was just practice and basic skills. Thanks  :)

EDIT (Read)
Ok so I glued it up. Picked up some rubber tubing from Ace and used it as shown in the holmegaard build suggested by you guys. Now my problem is this, there are thin gaps of where the backing is not against the core wood. This is more toward the center, and they are about a millimeter at most. What do I do about this? (I'll post pics if you guys want them as a reference) :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:05:11 am by Tortoise »
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:26:17 pm »
Have you looked thru Jawges site ?
It is stuck at the top of the build along page !

Have you picked out a style of bow ?
Are you going to reflex it ?

Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:18:21 am »
Whats your draw length and desired draw weight?
  When I do glue ups I like to pretiller the belly so the limbs bend evenly and together then glue the backing on in Perry reflex but with no more than 3" of reflex. For a 28" draw and a 50# to 60# bow 1 3/8" at the fades and out 6 " then a straight out to 1/2" tips(for now) This will be for a 64" to 66" bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:41:08 am »
For a 28" draw and a 50# to 60#
Is what I'm looking for
-Peter
Arizona

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:51:08 am »
I am  sure there are good threads on here or on youtube.  I like to  the glued backing on and wrap it with 6" shrink wrap. I have had good results and tight glue joints with this. Then make a jig and clamp it into a reflex. The wrap allows to wood to slide a little in the wet joint. Make sure you degrease before glue up with  acetone or something similar. Also I recommend apply glue to BOTH pieces. I have had terrible results with many wood projects if I don't do both.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 05:03:38 pm »
Ok all I really want to know is do I just glue up my backing first when everything is in board form?
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 05:11:04 pm »
There is a build along in the how to section from Adb about making a hickory backed Osage bow.. look that up.... it is very detailed and a great guide.... Good luck...

Jon

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:30 pm »
There is a build along in the how to section from Adb about making a hickory backed Osage bow.. look that up.... it is very detailed and a great guide.... Good luck...

Jon
I looked and couldn't find it, can you please provide a link to the topic
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »
Page 2, 9th topic down..."Holmsgaard Buildalong"
  One thing I would do different is shape the osage to the bows profile and begin tillering it so the limbs bend evenly and together and glue it up with some reflex. By pretillering the belly you will get a nice even bend in the reflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tortoise

Re: Will this be a major problem?
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:06:23 am »
Please help...
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 02:11:51 am »
Squirt super glue in the gaps. Did you shape the bow first or glue it up as you recieved it?

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 02:14:11 am »
Squirt super glue in the gaps. Did you shape the bow first or glue it up as you recieved it?
Glued it unshaped, backing strip on a board
-Peter
Arizona

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:15:34 am »
When you cut it out you might be lucky and eliminate the gaps. Put the super glue in just in case though.

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:39 am »
When you cut it out you might be lucky and eliminate the gaps. Put the super glue in just in case though.
Will TB3 work in instead of superglue? incase the gaps don''t go away
-Peter
Arizona

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 02:28:43 am »
The "super glue" is a great Idea,its loose and strong....holding a palm sanders edge(protect the wood) to it will help remove any trapped air (Works with epoxy too).Good luck,Ron