Author Topic: how to trap birds for their feathers and easy methods?  (Read 11057 times)

birdpointlightstring32

how to trap birds for their feathers and easy methods?
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:21:37 pm »
Does any one has any advice on how to harvest birds like crows magpie or any other with easy methods or traps for their feathers and breast meat. Traps or decoys?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how to trap birds for their feathers and easy methods?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »
You better check your local and federal regulations to see which birds you can trap and use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »
I find it easiest to get a tag for spring turkey. The way I do it is to put the bird to bed then move in early to that spot and wait for the turkey to hit the ground and then stalk while he is working a ridge and gobbling. I use a gun and take my birds at 20yards. If you want free feathers contact the taxidermist they throw wings away every year (goose pheasant and turkey). check your laws before trapping game but....if you build a log cabin structure with small 3 inch logs about 4 to 5 feet and cover the top the same it will catch turkeys. A hole needs to be dug on one side and lots of corn in the cabin. Turkey go in kick dirt looking for corn and close opening. This is not a fun or sporting way to take turkey.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:56:01 pm »
The easiest way to go about doing what you propose is to try trapping pigeons.  There are no regulations, that I know of, that prevent you from trapping them, killing them, or using their feathers.

As far as birds for meat, you can raise ringneck doves.  I don't recommend raising Rock doves (pigeons) but that's up to you.  All doves can be eaten.   You can also use their feathers.

I think they sell ringneck doves at some pet stores like Petco.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:21:53 pm »
I just thought of something...
Do NOT get tempted to pick up road kill owls, hawks and such. This is a FEDERAL offense. There was a woman (several years ago) that started a home business of selling feathers that she had picked up on walks and road kill. Feds arrested her and it went to trial.
If you are not going after game birds (turkey, goose, duck, etc) during season, check with your game and parks department.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:29:38 pm »
There are several old timey ways to trap birds, but I'd bet most are illegal.  Like the one IB suggested.  ;) Check for a local farmer who raises chickens or turkey. And as others have said, check your local game laws.  And always remember quick clean kills are always the best.  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »
Here's a video showing one of the best birds traps I've seen.  It's a modern "Mohave" bird trap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMW2VHh6oc

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »
Thank you all! I got to check with local game laws however.Any more creative bird traps the cabin trap was ingenious. 8)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:20 pm »
I have read in books about the ancients smearing tar and other sticky stuff on branches.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 02:47:29 pm »
Another source might be 'water fowl cleaners'. We have some 'professional' game bird cleaners around here and you can pick up bags of wings free or very cheep. Goose & Duck

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »
worked for sometime in neah bay in northwest wash.
the local elders(makah) toss out fish guts on the beach
the eagles come in and fight and eat
when they're done the old folks walk down and pick up the feathers
of course they are card carrying native north americans and can legally obtain and use eagle feathers.
no harm done-the eagles get a free meal and the elders get feathers for give away
wild women don't get the blues

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »
Contrary to popular belief, Sadie, they are NOT allowed to pick up those shed eagle feathers.  The only legal ways for Native Americans (with proof of tribal enrollment) to obtain feathers from non-game animals is to get them thru the Federal Eagle Repository or thru direct transfer from one licensed possessor to another.  The reason this law is so strict is to prevent people from shooting eagles and hawks, stripping the feathers and claiming it all came from the natural molting process.  I know, it seems counter intuitive.  The laws tried to plug all the loopholes that the poachers were using. 

If you have a city park nearby with geese and ducks on it, start taking walks there daily.  They are about to start molting their feathers and those are legal to pick up and possess (still, check with your local conservation office to be sure...while you are at it, ask them if they will provide you with wings and tails from confiscated turkeys, ducks, geese, and other game birds). 

BTW.  I am going to build a half dozen of those Mojave bird traps and see if I can get some downtown buildings to allow me to put them on the roofs!  Mmmm, Squab!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:01:25 pm »
i don't know where you are from,but turkey farms will give you feathers.some times there get golden turkeys and their feathers are very similer to wild turkeys.send MattG a pm and he will sell you some nice ground wild turkey feathers.he took over for stringstreatcher.i just got some and they are top notch.try them out,you won't be disappointed.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 04:20:05 am »
JW, sounds like an excellent idea!  Bet those traps will work a lot better at controling the pigeon population than plastic owls... >:D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 08:57:57 am »
i don't know where you are from,but turkey farms will give you feathers.some times there get golden turkeys and their feathers are very similer to wild turkeys.send MattG a pm and he will sell you some nice ground wild turkey feathers.he took over for stringstreatcher.i just got some and they are top notch.try them out,you won't be disappointed.

XXXXXXX 2
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2