Author Topic: Check out this borer  (Read 6944 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: Check out this borer
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:59 pm »
Send that sucker to the Taxidermist and call Pope and Young...  whoa NASTY!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 01:39:06 pm »
I've seen a smaller version in the sapwood of ashe juniper.  The beetle is quite striking.  Haven't seen one in osage. The ones I've seen in mesquite were fat buggers and didn't have the flat heads.

Some of the boring beetles around here look like this:
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 02:37:27 pm »
Yeah I've seen them too. Not in my bow wood because I debark after I harvest, but I have seen them in my fire wood. I found one about a month ago I should have taken a picture of, it was really big and fat, I would say easily it was 3/8" in diameter and was 3" long. He had obviuosly been feasting for a while. I don't recall it being a flathead though. It was a borer of some type and needless to say he cut a large swath in that osage log.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »
He had to have been in the tree before I cut it.  I was ripping the bark and sapwood off to store it when I found it.  I have only found a few borers and most were small, less than an inch long, and they stayed in the first ring or two.  This thing ate a hole about 1/4" wide and several inches deep.  I hope that is the last one I find.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 05:26:13 pm »
You better hope you didnt send me any of those nasty buggers Clint! If my stash gets exploited Im driving down to Rising Sun and replenishing my stock buddy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »
Yours should be good.  I found that bugger on a piece that I just brought inside.  Peal and seal it and let me know just to be sure  ;)

Ain't it too cold up there for these critters?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »
I thought maybe they would freeze out, but I was told otherwise. I have found a few tunnels in some staves, but no bugs dead or alive anywhere around. I talked with Matt W and he has had staves stored up here for 25 years in his barn with zero bugs? Im not chanceing it, so Im spraying them down once a month all summer long.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 07:06:12 pm »
i call them things osage leach...that thing is big...you should get it mounted..LOL...john

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:32 pm »
Good Lord!  That wasn't in your stash from the Monster Tree was it?!?!?!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 08:09:49 pm »
Yes it was!  But one out of ???? isn't too bad.  It was in the last handful of staves.  If everything goes smooth tomorrow, I should finish up and I'll post an update with the final count and the winner of the contest.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »
Yes it was!  But one out of ???? isn't too bad.  It was in the last handful of staves.  If everything goes smooth tomorrow, I should finish up and I'll post an update with the final count and the winner of the contest.

I'm very happy to hear that it was one of the last.  I'd be heartbroken to think that you'd lose a bunch of those staves after working so bloody hard with your buddies to harvest it.  That'd be a shame.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 08:22:21 pm »
I'd be heartbroken too.  I really lucked out.  I think I was somewhere in the 80 count range when I started to find a few small borers.  This is the only big one and the only one that went deep enough to cause damage.  That thing really creeped me out when I pulled him from the hole.   

Offline EricWard

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 10:23:00 pm »
  Man that looks like a cobra worm.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »
I'm very happy to hear that it was one of the last.  I'd be heartbroken to think that you'd lose a bunch of those staves after working so bloody hard with your buddies to harvest it.  That'd be a shame.

That's silly. The stave would still be fine trading fodder for South Dakota bowyers.   >:D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 10:17:52 pm »

That's silly. The stave would still be fine trading fodder for South Dakota bowyers.   >:D

George

I'd rather take one of his worst Swiss-cheesed borer hotels than one of your devil's corkscrews!   >:D >:D