Author Topic: Step through, push-pull, bow stringer: How many ways to skin a cat?  (Read 13045 times)

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
First, I am not trolling here or wanting to start a flame war, but I have been really perplexed by the existence of "Bow Stringers." Back when snakes could walk and I was young, we learned to string a bow by "stepping through the string" method. Now I hear and read everywhere that the only safe way to string a bow is with a bow stringer. I'm not really convinced. In my more cynical moments, I think they are a gimmick invented just to give us another thing to buy. On the other hand, maybe they are useful for heavy draw weight bows. But on the other other hand if you are strong enough to pull a heavy weight bow you ought to be strong enough to string one.

I just read a thread in another forum where some guy claims his wife's uncle killed himself stringing a bow with the step through method. I just don't see how that is possible as you are pulling the bow towards your body. If something lets go it springs back away from your body.

Again, it seems passions run deep about how to string a bow and I don't want to start something but I am really skeptical about the need for bow stringers.

Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!

Offline sadiejane

Re: Step through, push-pull, bow stringer: How many ways to skin a cat?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
didnt hurt myself, but nearly killed my kat the first time i used a bowstringer....she still runs when she sees a bow!
wild women don't get the blues

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »
Stringers are very useful if you've got a reflexed, ultra narrow tipped 'special', also step through isn't great with elb's as you end up torquing the limb. Push pull is the best for most bows with the stringer reserved for the cautious.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
Push pull is what I use most of the time unless it is a heavy  bow or longer than say 64 the it is hard for me to reach that far as I push,I use a stringer then,never step through.See to many bows[mostly glass or lamanated] busted that way.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:01:04 pm »
A bow stringer is probably the safest(for you and the bow) method of stringing a bow. Personally I use a push/pull method on most bows but like Pappy I use a stringer on heavy bows and longer bows that I'm not comfortable stringing.   I have heard that the step through method is OK with selfbows but not good for glass bows. .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »
I would say that providing you are doing either method properly and are comfortable with the weight and position they should all be safe for you and the bow.
I prefer push pull as its easier to put an even strain on both limbs at the same time which is the main point i guess. Could never get on with a stringer just didnt work for me.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:09:40 pm »
I think the step threw method is about the hardest method there is to string a bow, especially on anything long or over 60#. I tried to make myself do it for a little bit, but it just kills my back, feels like it is twisting my spine on heavier bows. One short bows, what I do is wedge the bottom tip on the ground, lean the bow forward a bit, and put my knee on the handle or a little higher than the handle (so I don't put all the pressure on the bottom limb) and string the bow that way. On heavier (90# or more) sometimes ill use my bare foot. I would say that doing it this way could easily put more pressure on the bottom limb than the top if your not careful though. But for me it is physically easier than doing it any other typical way, definitely including using a stringer. (But yes, I still use em, obviously caring more about the health of my bows than the health of my body,  :laugh:). And mike makes a great point about recurves and stringers.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:43:32 pm »
I'm 6'2" and have used push pull on 65# bows 70" long, but that's about the max length that I can do without a stringer, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dbb

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »
I use push/pull on straight and mildly recurved bows.
On deep recuves and lam or FG bows i always use stringers,i have seen too many ruined bows on the club not to.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:45 pm »
i use push/pull on light bows and stringer on the rest.a stringer makes it a whole lot easier for me.i am short five foot four guy and it is hard for me to push/pull alot of them.static recurves are a bear for me without a stringer.if you can find a webster stringer,get it.it will string most bows safely.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:00 pm »
Push/pull, even on warbows up to 100#.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:51:59 pm »
Push pull on all my long/self bows.  I step through with my recurve fiberglass fishing bow - it's a tank and I doubt anything could kill it....  If I had a quality laminated recurve, I would go to the stringer.  I have a few stringers hanging on the wall in my shop, but I have to agree, I almost never use them.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:04 am »
is it possible to make an efficient stringer with stuff around the house? I tried to make one from an old leather belt and some nylon cord but it kept slipping off of the bow's nocks. Any tips for making an easier one?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »
Never tried a stringer, the push/pull method seems like the smoothest method to me. Step through makes me feel like I'm going to damage the top limb.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »
Push/Pull, but on heavier bows I reverse it and have the belly toward me.  I've been criticized and know that a tip could break, but I've got an 80# 70" ELB that I use do unconventionally by having the bottom limb on a softer ground surface that's stable "a mat" then flex down with my left elbow and pull over the top nock with my right hand stringing the bow.  It may not be the best method but it works and is safe.  I should post a short video of that and get out the popcorn ::) ;D.
1’—>1’