Author Topic: arrow spine bamboo  (Read 7063 times)

Offline carl

arrow spine bamboo
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:43:04 pm »
Hello all, I got a problem with some bamboo shafts i ordered from china. They are good quality, but the seller sent the wrong spine. I asked for 45-50# spine he sent any where from 60 to 70# spine. He said he uses an ace spine tester. When i spine them they are stiffer plus I had a friend spine them and he to gets a much higher spine number. 1) Does spining bambo reguire some mystical formula or something, 20) would sanding them to bring down the spine weight. I know I could shoot a longer arrow and a heavy tip, but than performance goes down. Anyways I am stuck with them.
Thanks, Carl

Offline artcher1

Re: arrow spine bamboo
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:29:37 pm »
What length arrow do you typically shoot Carl? Most boos are tapered and thus have weight forward that adds to the equation. Generally 10-15#. So looks like you're right on track for a 28" BOP finished arrow using a 125gr point.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »
Listen to what archer1 says, and you will not go wrong on boo or cane arrows

Offline carl

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »
Thanks, right now they are cut to 29" with a 100 grain tip. I'll increase the tip weight to 125 grains and see what happens.
Carl

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:52 pm »
Carl,
I have imported many thousand bamboo shafts from China from a number of suppliers. I have not yet found one that can supply shafts accurately or even consistently spined, though the shafts are otherwise great. This is why I have to spine rate them all again myself. I can only assume that those who do the spine rating are careless. There's really no way that out of a pack of 50 shafts all supposedly the same spine rating that there should be a 30# (or sometimes more) variation. It's not even that there is an occassional rogue, there is just too much variation for me to realy beleive they have been spine rated by anyone remotely aware of how to spine rate, or even concerned about this. Often the shaft doesn't measure anywhere near the stated spine anywhere at all along it's length or orientation. Frustrating but it does give me something to do in the evenings after work :>)
I have generally found that 5# more than the parallel machined timber shafts you use should work well, and customers report this works well for them.
Where on the shaft the spine is measured can make a considerable difference. With the taper the spine can vary if the soine is measure up the thicker end as opposed to the thinner end. On most of mine I have spined the shaft in the middle which allows some tuning though my new supplier cuts the shafts so that a node is at the thin end giving a good self nock so I spine these from the thin end.
Even if a bit stiff I expect that you'll be suprised at how well these arrows shoot for you. Perhaps it's just the taper but I have found that as long as the shaft is not too weak for the bow they will shoot well over a variation of spines and shoot well even if far higher in spine than you would think would work.
As with any shaft a little fine sanding should help bring a stiff shaft to a spine that works better.
Good luck.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:51:14 am »
Mark pretty much said what I was thnking. I love my boo and my supposed 50-55 shafts fly great from every bow I have. Right from 42#'s up to almost 60#'s. My shafts are about 30" long for my 28" draw. If the nocks arent already cut in you can try rotating them in your tester to find a weaker side.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:57:04 pm »
You don't need a tester to know where to cut the nocks in on cane/boo Pearly. Just cut the nock in line with the leaf stem area (sulcus). Shoot the arrow from both sides and mark the side that shoots the best.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »
Ahhhhh! I know just what your talking about Artsy! I may give it a go my next batch. I have some sourwoods I have to get to first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »
Feller ought to be beat for putting something like that on you Pearly! Best of luck >:D!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »
  I don't even spine anymore. Just temper straighten shoot sand shoot sand 80 GRIT. When I get too where I feel their there. I remove my feathers sand with a lighter grit. STAIN SEAL REFLECH.  I enjoy doing it like this.
  Or if you want spine ,sand ,spine ,sand untill you get it right.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
I really don't spine cane much anymore. Most of what I have spines pretty high, much higher than I need. For example I have a 47# longbow but the cane shafts that shoot best from it spined between 60#-70#. So just about all the cane spines heavy enough for me so I just match my shafts by weight and go from there.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 04:18:05 am »
Carl,
I have imported many thousand bamboo shafts from China from a number of suppliers. I have not yet found one that can supply shafts accurately or even consistently spined, though the shafts are otherwise great. This is why I have to spine rate them all again myself. I can only assume that those who do the spine rating are careless. There's really no way that out of a pack of 50 shafts all supposedly the same spine rating that there should be a 30# (or sometimes more) variation. It's not even that there is an occassional rogue, there is just too much variation for me to realy beleive they have been spine rated by anyone remotely aware of how to spine rate, or even concerned about this. Often the shaft doesn't measure anywhere near the stated spine anywhere at all along it's length or orientation. Frustrating but it does give me something to do in the evenings after work :>)

Cannot claim to have imported thousands, but have bought hundreds for myself and my family and friends covering a range of spines claimed to be from 45lb to 90lb and all had a high spread of actual spines although the majority, (but not a great majority), were close to those claimed.

Craig.

Offline carl

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 04:16:06 pm »
Thanks for all the advice! I guess I'll break the sand paper out this week and start sanding. I have been doing 3D shoots here in southern New Mexico with my primitive bows. But it is hard to compete against the glass bows and long shots. I am the only guy that shows up with primitive gear. Once in a while I give them a run for thier money! I was hoping the boo would help give me an edge.
Carl

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »
But it is hard to compete against the glass bows and long shots. I am the only guy that shows up with primitive gear. Once in a while I give them a run for their money! I was hoping the boo would help give me an edge.

I would suggest you 'march to your own drum'. Compete against yourself, not the other guys. Start doing that and you will see improvement and soon you will surpass 'those other guys'. But first and formost, have fun. When it becomes work, the fun disappears. At least it did for me.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:46 pm »
Have you tried making up an arrow with the cane just like it is? You might be surprised how well they shoot.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC