Author Topic: Shipping a Bow?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline DLH

Shipping a Bow?
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »
I figured you can ship most things flat rate but was curious how you guys ship bows? Get a long package and take it to the post office? Is it expensive to ship longer items?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Shipping a Bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:53:56 pm »
I use carpet roll tubes I steal outa the dumpsters behind the carpet shop.  When I ship thru the post office they are concerned that length + diameter does not exceed 105 inches.  Shipping bows thru the post office is about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of FedEx or UPS.  And it generally takes them about the same amount of time!

Cut out a circle of heavy duty cardboard the same diameter of the tube and use lotsa tape.  You can pad it with bubble wrap at each end and wrap the tips with bubble wrap for extra safety without adding weight. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:14:09 am »
I do the same as John. ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:31:27 am »
I use lightweight pvc drain pipe with caps.  I wrap the bow in bubble wrap and tape the caps on each end of the tube after I cut it to length.  It isn't that expensive to ship one in the US.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:35:32 am »
I've just built a triangle out of cardboard and wrapped the bow in bubble wrap.  Insure it and all should be ok.  I've not had trouble yet through the Post Office.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 12:51:07 am »
How do you insure it?  I asked and they told me that to file a claim I would have to provide a receipt for the item.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:12 am »
I'm afraid home-made craft items aren't gonna qualify for insurance with the post office, but I don't think it would fly with UPS or FedEx either. 

I think they would all require a bill of sale from a sales tax qualified kind of business. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DLH

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:10:45 am »
Ok thanks everyone I always know the people on PA know how to do things simple and efficient :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:14:11 am »
I ship bows in a PVC tube with end caps and ship it USPS Priority with delivery confirmation(for tracking). I was told by a postal clerk that Priority mail is touched by fewer handlers and will be delivered in 2 to 3 days in the conteninental US.   You can go on the USPS website and calculate what it will cost.  I've never lost or had damaged a bow sent this way.  It is difficult to prove what the bow you built is worth as far as USPS is concerned so no need to insure it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:59:40 am »
All the bows I've mailed or received in the last few years have been Black Widows.  I didn't know that crafted items like Primitive Bows couldn't be insured.  I mailed a Hickory bow I made to a friend in PA once several years ago.  They never asked me at the Post Office about that issue, they just insured it for the amount I asked for. 

I learn something every day!  Thanks  :)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:14:03 am »
I ship like PatB, and he's right the less hand's thing, my son work's at USPS and he told me the same thing, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:12 am »
I also ship like Pat,but I also insure them,they just ask for how much and I tell them,never been ask for receipt.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:51 am »
I used to think the value of insuring a package through the post office was that it would influence the way the package was treated.  A few years ago I often sent fertile eggs of fancy chickens through the post office and they only made it OK if we insured the packages.  However, at some point  the package treatment must've changed because eggs stopped surviving the trip no matter what we did or how well we packed them.  We could keep them from breaking, but we could not keep the eggs from being damaged internally.  For sure the post office will take your money and say the package is insured.  However, I'm afraid any attempt at claiming on the insurance  would be futile.  I don't insure my bow shipments.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:56 am »
UK here and i use 3" PVC drainpipe bubble wrap the bow chuck it in the tube and send it special delivery. Can be a bit expensive £9 for the pipe and about the same for postage but atleast its safe. .... ish...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:36 am »
I use boxes I pack core samples in for recurves and PR 160 thin wall PVC or free triangle boxes from the USPS and their free tape. I also send it Priority for the same reasons as everybody else.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?