Author Topic: i have a question or 2  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Blacktail

i have a question or 2
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:06:18 pm »
i have an osage stick that i am getting ready to sinew back...its 53"  and at the fades its 1 1/4....it also has a stiff handle...now the stick was given to me and this is the way it came...SO,is 1 1/4 to narrow and could i leave the stiff handle in it...NOW,my draw is 25"...do you think i could get that...if not what do you think would be possible...thanks john

Offline HickoryBill

Re: i have a question or 2
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:03 pm »
How high is the crown? If it's not real bad you will prolly be ok...I would make it a bendy though....I have a 50 inch sinew backed osage d bow with flipped tips (to reduce the string angle) that pulls 48#@26..I have seen it pulled to 28..It's only 1 1/8 wide...Started out with 1.5' of reflex, it s.5 after unstringing and resting.Good Shooter.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »
Lengthwise I think you got it.  For a sinew backed osage bow my minimum would be double the draw length.  But the narrowness kinda worries me, there might not be enough width to distribute the compression.  You might end up taking some set with this one. 

For example, my every day shooter is 52" nock to nock, I pull 26 (sometimes 27") and it's just about 1 3/4 wide at the fades.  Good sinew job, great tiller, and really good quality osage.  I can honestly say that about the bow without any ego getting in the way....I didn't make the bow!  ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:21:50 am »
the only thing that bugs me is the narrow limbs...i would hate to sinew back and see some thing happen...BUT,if i dont try then i wont know....P.S.the back is flat.....john

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:12:20 am »
I'm hoping to hear from some of the people that do a lot of sinewing.  I kinda gave it up.  Too much like work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:45 am »
I think you'll be OK with your short drew length. The width should be fine for osage. My favorite width is 1 3/8".   My newest, 53" sinew backed osage, pulls 50#+@26" easy(I tillered to 28") but I can feel the handle bend at full draw. This bow is 1 1/8" at the fades.
  John, when you get near full draw get the inner limbs bending into the fades.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:09:47 am »
thanks pat...it sound like i might need to take the handle down some...its pritty stifff....john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:27 am »
With a little movement in the inner limb you get a lot of movement in the outter limbs. Thats why I tiller that part of the limb last. I shape the limbs so the fades "fade" into the limbs smoothly but wait until the end of the tillering process to make that area bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:11:04 am »
ok now that makes more since to me....i am just up in the air about the limb width...it just looks so skinny..

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:46 am »
You know it don't take much yeller wood to make a bow....your width is fine....just run the 1 1/4" half way out or so down the limb before you taper,flip the tips,n make the handle give an inch or two before full draw.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:57:01 pm »
Was thinking about this bow while drinking my coffee this morning.  Since you are sinew backing the whole thing from tip to tip (including the handle, right?!?!)....why not let it bend a little in the handle?  Anyone?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:48 pm »
thanks for the info guys..JW,that is what i am planning on doing...i think it might give it alittle more forgiveness...john

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:44:28 pm »
Your width is no problem.  My last bow is 7/8" wide  I personally don't like to go that short with a stiff handle though.   Pat's advice is dead on, as always.

George
St Paul, TX