Author Topic: Osage Twin Oaks Bow in Progress  (Read 7399 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage Twin Oaks Bow in Progress
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:22 am »
So thats where Gary is escaping the cold! I met his son Steve last Saturday, he seems to be a good man as well!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:07 pm »
No I wished he was closer,he comes down the week after Christmas to hunt with me,also the Classic/IBO world and usually once more during the year.We always do a lot of bow work when he is in. Ya Steve is a great guy also,good selfbow builder as you would expect and hunter. He spent a lot of time with Jon on the last trip,helping on this bow and showing him how he prepairs sinew.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »
Im confused on the handle wedge. What is it doing exactly? I didnt see a before pic so Im lost..........not uncommom!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:38:16 pm »
So that's why you Tenn boys make some nice bows.....Cus you got a michigan boy showing ya how >:D.... :laugh:.....looking good Jon....keep it coming :)

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:42:10 pm »
Im confused on the handle wedge. What is it doing exactly? I didnt see a before pic so Im lost..........not uncommom!

Pearl...if you didn't see the whoopty doo on the one limb coming out of the handle at the fade...it was cut to be able to be heat corrected over the form....you know trying to heat correct those areas tend to go craaaaaack.  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:40 pm »
What blackhawk said,you can control the crack if you cut the wedge and get the hump in the handle flat. I have sometimes just left it their and tiller around it and I have also tried to bend it out and cracked it right up through the handle. This works pretty sweet if you want to start with a flat even back which is what Gary preaches. I tend not to worry as much about it. :) It is easier to tiller one that is flat with no humps and he is usually working with beginners,that is why he wants them flat/longer than most and a little over built,less room for error or chance of breaking. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:54:27 pm »
Ahhhhhhhh.....makes sense now. Simple and brilliant at the same time. Thats going in my sack o' tricks for certain.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »
I was wondering about the cut out wedge but now it makes perfect sense. This old dog just learned a new trick!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
Kind of makes me want to find a stave that needs that done so I can try it. :o
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »
My Twisted Sisters bow would have been a perfect canidate for that trick. I left it alone and made the bow as is.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 05:41:17 pm »
Here’s what the wedge looks like sanded down now.

Thanks for looking.

And working the tips.

Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »
You should drill a couple of holes and fill them with dark filler. Make something like this

8)

Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »
Gary says to maximize the potential of any wood, try to get it as straight as possible.  Not to mention it makes it a lot easier to tiller.   :)

That's what we were working towards on this particular bow. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee