Author Topic: preferred fletching adhesive  (Read 3995 times)

Offline GaryR

preferred fletching adhesive
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »
I'm looking at pine pitch, hide glue, and titebond synthetic hide glue. What do you like best and why?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: preferred fletching adhesive
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »
When I hand tie fletching I prefer the thicker superglues.  For my Arizona EasyFletch I prefer to use Ducco Cement.  I hate the way I gotta wait about 25 minutes for the glue to set up as compared to the superglues.  On the other hand, when I use the superglue with the jig I end up with fletching glued to the jig half the time. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:12:19 pm »
JW i used to do that as well, kept pulling the feathers off, but i rubbed some snowseal wax on the bottom of the piece ya put the feather in and no more sticking, just gotta rewax it once in a while, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:17:35 pm »
Superglue eats wax.  You oughta watch it under a magnifying light as it bonds with artificial sinew!  But then, I was using raw beeswax, not snowseal.  I think that has some silicone in it, too.   Might have to give it another try.  Thanks Bubster!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
I used to use the old school fletch-tite, but can't find it as easy anymore, usually ducco or gorilla super glue.  I'm gonna give the snowseal a shot. thanks for the info.  There was a post put up by , I think Sadiejane, a german or austrian or up there somewhere video and the guy was using pitch of some kind.  might want to look for it and check it out.  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:17:48 pm »
i use contact cement 'cos i live in a wet climate and need water resistance. not primitive, but it works!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:23:55 am »
I use hide glue with sinew wrappings. I live in a high-moisture environment too, so I make my quiver out of wool (water repellant) and make it long enough that it completely covers the entire length of the arrow, including the feathers. I also rub bear grease over the whole arrow to protect the hide glue from gaining moisture.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 01:25:12 am »
Actually, now that I think about it, I said 'hide glue' out of habit. That's not accurate. I use sinew glue. Very similar, though.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:02:48 am »
saunders fletch tite, easy to get here in the netherlands, and I fletch my wooden arrows, recurve arrows and compound arrows with it. A good glue for nocks and fletchings, don't use it for arrowheads. It's not primitive but it is very effective. For fletchings (trueflight) 15 minutes in the clamp

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 07:02:27 am »
All I ever use on my arrows is Fletching Tape now days.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline GaryR

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:40 am »
Eric, do you make your own sinew glue?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »
  I knew and old guy (friend) CROOKETARROW he was half IROQIOUS. He'd built self bows and arrows for 50 years. He's made sinew glue as well as fish glue he's boil in some plant roots. He said this helped in the glue setting up. I was to young and dumb to care what they were. I never ask and he never said. I used DELCO.
  Before I meet him I thought everyone used store glue. He opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at things. Not just bow relater either. He made  his glue really thin. Then after he'd but his feathers on and they set up he's rap them. I tryed to get him to use DELCO he's just say NAW I like making my own.
    Even though I built self bows then it wasn't like it is now and everybody did'nt want to keep it all primitive. I did'nt know or under stood what primitive was.At the time I tought just moving back to building self bows was all it was to being primitive. At the time I just wanted to show off my bow bucks to friends. We never used the word PRIMITIVE.
 CROOKETARROW SURE OPENED MY EYES in 100's of ways I'd never knew of and not about just bows. He was kinda like KUNG FU with out the fighting. He taught like he was taught everything had a lession in with it. I'm sure his wife got tried of looking at me. He was just one of those natural teachers. That taught without trying.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Scowler

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »
I use either Duco or I just tie them on.