Author Topic: draw knife?  (Read 6022 times)

Offline mighty joe

draw knife?
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:01:54 am »
can't find one anywhere, i've looked at all the local hardware stores, and even the big chain places with no luck yet. any advice on where to look for a few of them. thanks
the only easy day was yesterday and that's how i like it.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: draw knife?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:15:17 am »
Hello Joe,

I've picked up a couple of good ones off Ebay.
Had good luck looking for something with sound handles, straight/intact edge, and little or no major pitting...
but a little rust brought the price down and cleaned up real nice with sand paper.
Be sure to ask any questions before bidding.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:02:12 am »
I picked up a new one at a local logging zippy store.(I live in a logging town). But it is barely sharp enough to scrape bark. I'll need to do some sharpening. I bought one for an antique store and ran a file over the edge and it's good as new. No pitting on the blade and good handles.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:07:26 am »
Check antique stores, yard sales, and flea markets.  I would rather have an older one than a new one.  Try to find one with solid handles and a good blade.  Make sure it is not pitted.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
I made a big mistake this weekend while working a lot of staves.   I sharpened my drawing knife.  Don't do it! There is something about a dull knife that works better.  I had a real dull knife so I put an edge on it and it digs/stops short  ans skips like crazy. I could not believe how bad of an idea that was.  I grabbed sand paper and took the edge off.  This is not a joke post, true story. If you shape it and take nicks out dull it again with sand paper to the point it will not cut you if you rub your hand across the blade.  Well this is my opion anyway. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:45:12 pm »
I have gotten all of mine off the auction site. If you watch, you can get a good one at a reasonable price.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Gus

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »
IowaBow,

I've heard that from other sources as well.
I don't really sharpen my draw knives, just use Sand Paper of assending grits to Polish the Flat side.
And or, Heaven Forbid take out the occasional nick...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:32:01 pm »
I use 2 knives. A heavy bladed 8" bladed greenlee that I use to remove bark and sapwood. That one I keep as sharp as I can.
I use a small 4" drawknife to chase a ring. That one i do not sharpen as fine.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »
Well I guess it is what you get used to. Jawge says he sharpens before every use and
that got me in the same habit. Kinda like hitting the steel with a butcher knife. Hate to
use a dull knife.But that's just me.

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:41:04 pm »
I've also found the angle the draw knife is sharpened to makes a big difference.  I have one draw knife that I love to use upside down.  But, I tore one handle off it hogging sapwood on an old osage stave.  The other one, which I had seldom used, is now my favorite and I use it upright.  Took awhile, but I discovered the sharpening angle was quite a bit different between the 2.  I doubt one is better than the other, they're just different.  Both of them came from flea markets.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:02:22 pm »
This is a cool threat. Maybe some people can post pictures of their draw knifes. I would imagine there are a wide variety out there.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 05:03:47 pm »
yes, great thread. and i too would love to see pix of any yalls draw knives and other bowmaking tools.
this is the first batch of tools i used when first starting out. cept for the mora "push" knife and the 4 way rasp, all were picked up here and there at flea markets and such. the spoke shave, and two curved knives ive had for sometime before making bows.
this folding draw knife is a goodun and found at a flea market for $4. tho i have heard some on here say they dont like the folding ones...
i am of the sharper is better camp on drawknives. its what works for me. ymmv

have had numerous others that have come and gone, including folding ones and not.
what i have kept is an 8" curved one that i really like. it came from a flea market for $8. cant seem to find a pic of it right now.
then last sept my uncle gave me this 8" straight one that used to be my grandpas.
it is the one i use all the time now, tho i have that curved one with me all the time.
just something about it having been my grandpas i guess. just makes me feel good using it.

i personally prefer em 8" or less. i know some folks like em wider, some like em straight, some like em curved, some like em duller, some like em sharper...much of it comes down to personal use and what feels best to the individual.
they can be found in flea markets and such and often for under $10. but ya gotta be patient.
sometimes i see 4 in a week, other times none for a few months.
i pick up everyone i see thats $10 or less as long as its got plenty of life left.
theyre good to have around to loan a new bow maker, or trade fodder at events,
or just to hang above the work bench and ponder its life.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Gus

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »
Hey Miss Sadiejane,

Love your folder.
Have one just like it, circa 1906.
Bought on Ebay for $10, Rusty, cleaned up like a new penny.
Fits in my pack perfect for wood working in the woods.
Haven't had any ill experiences with it to date.
It has a fine edge and is solid in use.

Regards,

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline GaryR

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 07:18:30 pm »
I got mine from ebay for about $20. It is too wide and wants to bend inwards as I yank the handles across my hickory. I plan to get a narrower one on ebay.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:22 pm »
If you have any local lumber yards,  they may have an antique tool section... That's were I got mine in about mint condition for about $30... plus the people there may even build bows themselves and give you a discount...  ;D ;D ;D Haha or maybe I just got lucky.. Good luck finding one..

Jon